TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My 8 year old is a coaster nut

CoasterMom80

Please go easy on my first post. I have always loved coasters but never been to Cedar Point so I have no experience there. We visit Kings Island or Holiday World once a year since they are within 2 hours of us. DD8 reached the great 48" height last August and got to ride the coasters she has had her eyes on for years: favorite being Vortex at Kings Island since it had loops. At this point she wants to go on anything big, crazy, and fast. She keeps asking me the height for more extreme ones which is awesome but not: Drop me 200 ft riding by myself I'm great, throw in my 8 year old and I suddenly question that seat belt/lap bar my kid is relying on I barely noticed earlier. She hasn't been interested in the kiddie area for 2 years already except Woodstock Express and Flying Ace since she has proven she can ride alone safely. The rest she is stuck with me for a bit longer (Yes I'm the mom checking my kids belt and lap bar after she put it on, and rechecking after the OPs check) Her mind is set on Diamondback in KI for her next big one, 4 inches of growth needed to get on. It seems like a large gap compared to the 52" CP coasters she "might" be able to do by summer 2018, which has always been on our radar but put to the side due to the height requirements for my thrill junkie before now. Does CP seem like a nice step up for 48" coasters or wait a few more years and get comfortable with what she can currently go on at KI/HW?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is this, and even though it is cliche: you are still safer on a roller coaster than driving to an amusement park.

Kristen has been riding coasters all her life, she's currently 10, and yes, we are more protective when it comes to making sure her lap bar is secured and seat belts are on tight, and we hang on to her, but there hasn't been a time where we've felt she wasn't safe on any ride.

Really, I would be less worried about the operational aspects of the rides and make sure your daughter is ready for the bigger rides.