TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Big boy seats

TMJJS

I like roller coasters but am hesitate to go to theme parks as I'm 6'2" and 370 pounds. Is there anywhere on this site that would let me know which rides at which parks might have seats that I can fit in? Also saw the term "stapling" - what is that? Not sure if this kind of information is grouped together here, but I did once find a Walt Disney World site that had this type of section and it was great to get that information before going.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the search feature as we've discussed 'big boy seats' and larger individuals on rides several times over the years. The consensus you'll find is that it depends on the ride, park, and how you carry the weight. It's hard for someone to tell you for sure if you'll fit or not over the computer.

I'm 6'8 and 285 and have found it all comes down to leg length and how flexable one can be with crossing your legs and how far you can shift down into the seat.. A lot also comes down to if you can get the lap bar down far enough to click and lock so the attendents will clear you for the ride. Funny how many times a support group in the line cheers you on saying come on man you can do it, squeeze down more,pull your chest in.

Try the search feature as we've discussed 'big boy seats' and larger individuals on rides several times over the years. The consensus you'll find is that it depends on the ride, park, and how you carry the weight. It's hard for someone to tell you for sure if you'll fit or not over the computer.
I'm 6'8 and 285 and have found it all comes down to leg length and how flexable one can be with crossing your legs and how far you can shift down into the seat..

Right, but remember what works well for you may not work for others. I have seen multiple people with the exact same height and weight as each other fit or not fit on the same ride based on how one person carries their weight versus the other.

Elissa is absolutely right when she says "It's hard for someone to tell you for sure if you will fit or not over the computer." If you are a big guy, and you are doing a theme park trip, you have to be prepared that there will be rides that you will not fit on. And that's just the reality of the situation.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Anyone have a definition of "stapling"?

basically, a seat restraint has to reach a certain level of closure to allow a passenger to ride (sometimes they use a green light on the side of the train to ensure the restraint is closed enough, and sometimes, it's "clicks" where they require a certain number of clicks on the restraint).

"Stapling" is referred to when the operators in the station lean onto a restraint (sometimes several of them physically pushing down) to get the restraint to the "safe" level. it happens with some larger folks, or those with body types that don't exactly fit the design of the cars.

if they can successfully get you in the seat (ie: you've sucked in your belly enough they could push the restraint down), then you've been "stapled". . not comfortable at all, and not going to be a fun ride.. but you'd be able to ride.

that's just the way I would define it. . . others might have a different answer

edit: I've also seen "Stapling" referred to attendant simply pushing the restraints down as tightly as they will go.. which some fans despise, because it takes away any "airtime" moments, if the restraints are keeping you so firmly in seat.