TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney / Hershey / Knobels Trip Planning Input

slakrx

Hello Everyone!

I am really hoping to plan a trip down to these three parks, hopefully staying somewhere that I can drive to all three parks within an hour. I will be driving down from Southern VT / Albany, NY and will need to stay for a few days. I am thinking about going down on a Friday night, hit up Dorney on Saturday, Hershey on Sunday, and Knobels before I come pack on a Monday night.

I am looking for input on places to stay so I am close to all three parks. Is my schedule realistic? I am planning on getting the fast pass, or whatever Dorney and Hershey calls it, to minimize on time standing around , and to get to all three parks over a long weekend.

I would love to hear input from anybody that could give me a heads up what to expect at the three parks, or any other tips and tricks to make this happen. I figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks for all your help! I am looking forward to this trip.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone!

I am really hoping to plan a trip down to these three parks, hopefully staying somewhere that I can drive to all three parks within an hour. I will be driving down from Southern VT / Albany, NY and will need to stay for a few days. I am thinking about going down on a Friday night, hit up Dorney on Saturday, Hershey on Sunday, and Knobels before I come pack on a Monday night.

I am looking for input on places to stay so I am close to all three parks. Is my schedule realistic? I am planning on getting the fast pass, or whatever Dorney and Hershey calls it, to minimize on time standing around , and to get to all three parks over a long weekend.

I would love to hear input from anybody that could give me a heads up what to expect at the three parks, or any other tips and tricks to make this happen. I figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks for all your help! I am looking forward to this trip.

Welcome to TPR!

I like the plan, I just think you've got the order wrong. Hershey and Knoebels are both full day parks, Dorney can easily be condensed into a few hours. I'd suggest doing Dorney on Monday on your way back. Also, don't buy a Fastlane at Dorney. Ride the Wild Mouse first and then I guarantee you that every other coaster will have a wait time between 0-10 minutes all day (and it's generally much closer to 0). Dorney pretty much never has lines.

Also, I'm not sure what weekend you're planning on going but Knoebels doesn't offer pay one price wristbands on summer weekends. If you do go on a summer weekend I still suggest spending a full day at Knoebels and buying tickets rather than trying to rush it before heading home and dedicating an entire day to Dorney but if you go in May, September or October you can take advantage of their Pay one Price options on the weekends too.

As far as where to stay, I'm probably not the best person to make recommendations there since I'd personally jump around rather than trying to find a central location that seems to be more of a hassle than it's worth.

If you're going to base for Hershey and Knoebels (we understand, when we do tours people like to not have to pack and unpack a ton) we use the Days Inn Lebanon / Fort Indiantown Gap. It's quite decent for a Days Inn and a convenient location for all three parks. I also agree with Bill to hit up Dorney on your way back.

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/days-inn/jonestown-pennsylvania/days-inn-lebanon-fort-indiantown-gap/overview

Thanks for your input guys. I didn't realize Dorney could be done so quickly! I drove by it on my way back to VT from picking up my niece in Tenn and it looked pretty big, so I figured the lines would be long. I was thinking Knoebels was a small park, but I guess it is a lot bigger than I was thinking. I am not sure what weekend I will be going. I don't think I will be going until late June or July. Too many people are taking late spring / early summer vacation days at work.

I will look into that hotel too. It will take me through parts of PA that I haven't been through. I wanted to avoid the NYC area anyways.

Thanks again for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

I mean...kind of?

The only park that you should even consider doing in a half-day is Dorney Park. Hersheypark is a full-day experience by any standard, and Knoebels is only a half-day if you just want to get in, ride the coasters, and leave. I recommend against the "whirlwind tour" thing unless you're actually local to the area.