TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Parks Other than Disney in SoCal

CaptainChaos

My wife and I are regular Disneyland goers but we need a break from it for a little while. We're going down to San Diego the last week of July to visit a friend for a few days and were going to hit Sea World while we are there. We also want to hit some other park in southern California for a day as well and we will have a car to drive to anywhere we want and are willing to stay overnight if needed in another area. We were thinking about Magic Mountain but both of us are a bit on the big side and I've heard lots of stories about the rides not being very accommodating to that plus super long lines...even longer than the premium rides at Disneyland so I think that's off the list now unless someone can talk me into that.

So what else is there? San Diego Zoo sounds nice but a bit boring. That leaves Knotts and Universal. I remember going to Universal about 10 years ago and thought it was a bit blah and Knotts just seemed really low-rent, run down, and in extremely poor condition (again, about 10 years ago). So what are a few theme park junkies to do? Thoughts on any of these? I think because of the poor condition of Knotts it would be an impossible sell to the wife but Universal is a maybe. So any ideas here? Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I are regular Disneyland goers but we need a break from it for a little while. We're going down to San Diego the last week of July to visit a friend for a few days and were going to hit Sea World while we are there. We also want to hit some other park in southern California for a day as well and we will have a car to drive to anywhere we want and are willing to stay overnight if needed in another area. We were thinking about Magic Mountain but both of us are a bit on the big side and I've heard lots of stories about the rides not being very accommodating to that plus super long lines...even longer than the premium rides at Disneyland so I think that's off the list now unless someone can talk me into that.

So what else is there? San Diego Zoo sounds nice but a bit boring. That leaves Knotts and Universal. I remember going to Universal about 10 years ago and thought it was a bit blah and Knotts just seemed really low-rent, run down, and in extremely poor condition (again, about 10 years ago). So what are a few theme park junkies to do? Thoughts on any of these? I think because of the poor condition of Knotts it would be an impossible sell to the wife but Universal is a maybe. So any ideas here? Thanks!

I have to be honest, it sounds like you guys have kind of answered your own questions. Being in So Cal your only options are: Disney, Universal, Knotts, SeaWorld, Legoland. So I would at least give each one of those parks a courtesy visit to see if it's worth going back to. Really, though, sounds like you guys are just Disney fans.

I have to be honest, it sounds like you guys have kind of answered your own questions. Being in So Cal your only options are: Disney, Universal, Knotts, SeaWorld, Legoland. So I would at least give each one of those parks a courtesy visit to see if it's worth going back to. Really, though, sounds like you guys are just Disney fans.

This morning we decided to go back to Knotts in addition to Sea World. I've heard that Knotts Berry Farm has gone through a big renovation since we were there last (about 12 years ago) adding more rides, cleaning up the place, etc. So we're going to give that a shot. Should be fun.

This morning we decided to go back to Knotts in addition to Sea World. I've heard that Knotts Berry Farm has gone through a big renovation since we were there last (about 12 years ago) adding more rides, cleaning up the place, etc. So we're going to give that a shot. Should be fun.

Great! Let us know how it goes!

and at the very least (even if you hate the park. .which I don't see how. . we LOVED it last time we were there). . you've got Mrs. Knott's chicken, and that amazing Blueberry pie in the restaurant at the front

have fun!