TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Road trip ideas from TN to OK

mckayj93

Hi, I'll be taking a work trip to Tulsa, Oklahoma in April 2018. I live in Nashville, TN. I have some flexibility with days before and after my event, so wanted to possibly get some parks in on the way there or back. All this will be places and roads I've never been before.

After looking at my options here are some of my thoughts-

It looks like I can take I40 through Arkansas or US60 through Missouri. Aside from destinations along the way, either of these roads a better ride?

I do want to stop at Silver Dollar City. I've got a Dollywood pass I'll get half off, hopefully their new coaster will be running, but since I've never been there not a deal breaker if not. I consider Dollywood my home park and really interested to see similarities and differences in another Herschend park.

It looks like Magic Springs in Hot Springs, AK is not far off the route. No water park in April, so would this be worth my time? Also heard Hot Springs National park itself was interesting to visit.

Frontier City in Oklahoma City would be like 100 mies out of the way. Probably will never make a special trip there for that, so is that park and city worth the detour?

I could add about an hour or two detour and go to Six Flags St Louis. But then again, I might save that for a special trip another time, Ive heard that the City Museum and other things in the city were great fun as well.

Anywhere else in this area that would be must see's if I'm passing through? Appreciate any thoughts!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you're asking the Alveys, but this is very much my neck of the woods, so I'll offer some advice too. Magic Springs without the waterpark is not worth visiting at all. X-Coaster is pretty good, but everything else just sucks.

If you haven't been to Six Flags St. Louis, it's worth a visit. In April it won't be very crowded, but it may still be in weekend only operations, so take that into consideration. Silver Dollar City is generally open Wed-Sun that time of year, and is one of the best parks in the country. Very low crowds at that time of year too.

Frontier City is worth a visit. Yes, it's 100 miles each way, but the I-44 toll road is very fast, and it shouldn't take you more than an hour and a half each way. Frontier City is on the northeast side of Oklahoma City, closest to Tulsa, so that helps. Again, though, in April it's generally in weekend only operation.

If you're going to skip St. Louis, I'd take I-40 to Memphis, then 63 to Willow Springs, Mo., then 60 to Springfield, Mo. 60 is an Interstate quality road, but 63 is winding two lanes through small Arkansas towns between the Missouri border and Jonesboro, Ark.

If you're going with St. Louis, I'd take I-24 to I-57 to I-64 to St. Louis, then I-44 the rest of the way.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think of weekend operations at the parks. My event is Friday and Saturday all day, so I'll probably drive to Branson Wednesday, do the after 3pm deal and go all day Thursday, then drive to Tulsa. St Louis will probably be a separate trip. It seems Frontier City is more worthwhile of a detour than Magic Springs. Hot Springs is closer to me if I ever make a special trip. You think going through Memphis and up 63 is better than taking I24 to Paducah and taking US60 all the way?

Yeah, I'd absolutely take 63 through Arkansas over 60 in western Kentucky. Your itinerary sounds good, but don't make any concrete plans until SDC reveals their 2018 schedule. I did say they're generally open Wed-Sun, but they do sometimes do some crazy things in the spring like open Tuesday, closed Wednesday, open Thursday-Sun. So absolutely wait for SDC's 2018 calendar before booking any hotels or anything. It's usually up around first of November, give or take a few days.