Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: bgtlover, Mike240SX and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 6186
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:09 pm

Skyrush has the best system out there. Free fluffy bunnies before you get in line AND cubbies at the station too.
Image

I love donkeys more than me.
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Location: Eastern USA
Gender: Male
Age: 32

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby dstephe9 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:33 pm

ABW wrote:Robb, you brought a really good point on Twitter that I think is worth re-iterating.

Disney, and ONLY Disney, is capable of combining guest safety with guest satisfaction. I literally got into an "argument" of sorts on Facebook because some brainwashed Cedar Point employee kept INSISTING that these heinous policies that you see at Cedar Fair parks are nothing but necessary. Further, whenever I brought up the fact that places like Disney have made it possible to balance safety without overly restricting guest freedoms, his response was always "no, because what if an idiot does this..."

So yeah, I don't think any of us are wrong to believe that there is a "better way" to handle this.
I agree with all of this to an extent, the only issue I have is that Disney doesn't have coasters that will suck phones right out of your pocket if it isn't sealed.. nor do they have rides that can drop a phone on someone walking below (happened at a six flags park I believe). Buy I do agree, Disney has found a very good balant of safety and satisfaction.. Disney shines when it comes to guest satisfaction and they have always helped me out and I have never felt unsafe on any Disney ride or in any Disney park.

Also, I do feel some of these policies at cedar fair parks, like six flags parks, are to help increase revenue from the parks, even if they are primarily for safety.. I'm sure some bean counter as figured out how much extra cash they can make by developing these policies.. I know the key purpose is for safety but if it's only for safety, a free fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo system would work just fine. Or maybe first hour free or something, that way someone doesn't Jack the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo all day

Edit: I say that but then almost lost my phone on rocking rollercoaster a few years ago.. I found it in the floor of the train and that's the only time I have come close to losing anything at a theme park! I guess maybe I felt to safe about not losing it

Edit 2: I don't mind paying for fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo though! I'm the type that will spend 2 cycles in the family dryer to dry off.. that's a waste of money, not fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
User avatar
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Female

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby aboo2oo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi, I'm new here and I'm planning for my first trip to Cedar Point by the end of the summer. It's my understanding that they will not allow you to wear a waist pack (fanny pack) on Steel Vengeance, along with no cellphones. Are waist packs allowed to be worn on any of the other rides, or have they been banned as well? Sorry if this has been asked before.

I love donkeys more than me.
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Location: Eastern USA
Gender: Male
Age: 32

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby dstephe9 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 pm

aboo2oo wrote:Hi, I'm new here and I'm planning for my first trip to Cedar Point by the end of the summer. It's my understanding that they will not allow you to wear a waist pack (fanny pack) on Steel Vengeance, along with no cellphones. Are waist packs allowed to be worn on any of the other rides, or have they been banned as well? Sorry if this has been asked before.
They were allowed this Sat - Monday when I was there, at least most rides.. but the phone policy hadn't taken affect then either. I'd say your safe though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 47643
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:24 am

dstephe9 wrote: only issue I have is that Disney doesn't have coasters that will suck phones right out of your pocket if it isn't sealed..

Are you kidding me? Have you ridden Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom? That ride has some moments of ejector airtime that riders don’t expect and can’t prepare for. Still I ask the question... I’ve ridden Rock n Roller Coaster holding a tri-pod in my hand and a back pack but I can’t have my phone on Steel Vengeance? And I’d argue that most Disney guests are probably less seasoned Coaster riders and Disney’s coasters are open longer, have a higher capacity, thus creating significantly more riders and a much larger potential for incidents, yet there are very few to no problems. Why?

Space Mountain runs TWENTY SIX trains at a time and is open 12-15 hours a day 365 days a year. If cell phones and loose items are really such a huge issue why aren’t we hearing more about them on rides like that?

But even still, my issue isn’t even about if I can take my phone on the ride or not, just let me have it in a two hour line.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:25 am.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 721
Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Location: Full Throttle
Gender: Male

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby SFMMGeek27 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:34 am

One solution is the X2 way. Just have fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo 10 minutes or so before boarding so that you can have your phone through the majority of the line.

Bonafide Donkey Expert
User avatar
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Brassinthegrass » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:31 am

^. This is the solution in my mind as well. Thunderbolt at Coney Island does this as well, you give over your cell or what ever is in your pockets and get a plastic srunchy with your cubby number as you walk into the station, as soon as you walk out they hand it back to you. Painless, simple and FREE (other than the $10 your already paying to ride lol)

Sometimes I wish we could just go back to the old shelves with sliding doors for each train on the exit side of the station...

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 31 Jul 2016
Gender: Male

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Airboss » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:42 am

SFMMGeek27 wrote:One solution is the X2 way. Just have fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo 10 minutes or so before boarding so that you can have your phone through the majority of the line.


The only problem with X2's fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, in my opinion, is that they cost a dollar or two. I understand the argument that it's only a dollar or two, no big deal, but if I've brought special cargo shorts with pockets that will absolutely make sure my phone doesn't fall out of my pocket, it's just a bit strange that I still have to pay for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to hold ny stuff. Especially if SFMM was my home park, and I go once a week or so, that fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo cost could add up if they were mandatory. I definitely prefer this system over what they're currently doing on Steel Vengeance, but if I'm going to be forced to use a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to hold my phone, which I already can hold securely, it just seems weird that I would have to pay a few bucks. It isn't the money that's a big deal, it's just that I've already come to the park prepared.

And one question about X2's fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo: I've been on X2, but that was back before I was as into coasters, so I can't quite remember the layout of the station. How do they make sure that exiting riders, while getting their stuff from their fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, don't jump back into the station and ride again?
Last edited by Airboss on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:50 am.

I love donkeys more than me.
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Location: Eastern USA
Gender: Male
Age: 32

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:45 am

Like I said earlier, while this decision is mostly for safety and I know that, it's also a revenue driver and the park knows that.. otherwise they would come up with a free solution.

IMO, if you had a free solution, more people would opt to use it I would think. Paying for fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, if they have no one there check-in your pockets, I know folks, myself included, are just going to leave my phone in my pocket.. I won't get it out while in line, which is frustrating, but I won't be using the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo either, unless I don't have fully closeable cargo pockets.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 721
Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Location: Full Throttle
Gender: Male

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby SFMMGeek27 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 am

Airboss wrote:
SFMMGeek27 wrote:One solution is the X2 way. Just have fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo 10 minutes or so before boarding so that you can have your phone through the majority of the line.


The only problem with X2's fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, in my opinion, is that they cost a dollar or two. I understand the argument that it's only a dollar or two, no big deal, but if I've brought special cargo shorts with pockets that will absolutely make sure my phone doesn't fall out of my pocket, it's just a bit strange that I still have to pay for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to hold ny stuff. Especially if SFMM was my home park, and I go once a week or so, that fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo cost could add up if they were mandatory. I definitely prefer this system over what they're currently doing on Steel Vengeance, but if I'm going to be forced to use a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to hold my phone, which I already can hold securely, it just seems weird that I would have to pay a few bucks. It isn't the money that's a big deal, it's just that I've already come to the park prepared.

And one question about X2's fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo: I've been on X2, but that was back before I was as into coasters, so I can't quite remember the layout of the station. How do they make sure that exiting riders, while getting their stuff from their fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, don't jump back into the station and ride again?


X2’s cost $1 and it’s only for things that can’t fit in your pocket. So even if you only have regular pockets, you can still put your phone in them. You just have to put bigger stuff like bags or bottles, or anything that can’t fit in your pocket in there. Since I usually have my bottle with me, I’ll put my phone in the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo too. These could obviously be made free for SV and be put closer to the station to make it work.

For X2, you load and unload on the same side of the station so there’s a point where people entering and exiting meet up in the station by the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. The way they circumvent line cutting is by having an employee in the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo area who also groups guests into rows and controls the flow into the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo from the regular line. Fun fact, any ride operator can do this no matter which area of the park they’re assigned to. You don’t even have to be trained at X2 to do it.

PreviousNext