TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I don't know, TTD was down about 75% of the time I was at CP this weekend. Although it was never closed all day, it was down a lot

I agree, LR shouldn't be down as much as it has for it's third season and a lot of the blame goes on Dollywood for not being transparent.. but if they are really doing track work, that works not being done on the lift, at least nothing visible is being done. Who knows if they are actually doing track work or not, I'm not even sure where that rumor came from (asside from the post on screamscape).

We do know they fixed the pothole once already and it's back. Why is the coaster messing its own track up and I doubt the launch has anything to do with messing up its own track. Land sinks and shifts here, it could be a land issue as well. Even pulling into the stattion a "pot hole" of sorts has popped up and you can see and hear the entire train "jump" at one point like the track isn't even. (Not around the transfer track)

Is it support issues? Is it because the track is topper vs ibox? If we keep blaming the launch, what's not to say the train is going to fast for topper and it needs ibox (I don't think it does at all ) but simply replacing the launch with a hill has a good chance of not fixing the issue from as much as we see/know.. especially because the launch is the only part that has actually been confirmed by Pete and others as "working beautifully", on here even.

And no I'm not comparing the two. I just posted it had its own downtime and that's from a post the park made.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

^Yes, but this is SV's first season and LR's THIRD!!!!

Even TTD had it's act mostly together by now!

Exactly - and it is well known the the other topper track RMC's such as Goliath, Wildfire and Outlaw run have not experienced such maintenance issues, so one could assume the launch is the problem.

However, even a vague blog post /statement from Dollywood would prevent some disappointment and frustration.

^Yes, but this is SV's first season and LR's THIRD!!!!

Even TTD had it's act mostly together by now!

However, even a vague blog post /statement from Dollywood would prevent some disappointment and frustration.

Exactly! something vague would even go a long way. Dollywood has it hidden on the rides page, not even on the homepage..

A new railroad crossing is being made at the other end of the new land, where the train loops. Could 2020 expand to the end of the land, then 2021 go further? I was looking and could easily see this route eventually leading around to the upper loop IF they ever do. Which I really don’t see them doing because it gives such a great view of the smokies. Plus it’s really the only “untouched” area left on the train. Thoughts?

^I think it’s quite natural for people to be blaming the launch as there are plenty of other RMC’s out there that work just fine and this one doesn’t. The difference? Launch.
I think it was posted/noted that LR has a lot of new subsystems/sensors that haven't been used or used together by RMC.

^I think it’s quite natural for people to be blaming the launch as there are plenty of other RMC’s out there that work just fine and this one doesn’t. The difference? Launch.
I think it was posted/noted that LR has a lot of new subsystems/sensors that haven't been used or used together by RMC.
This was noted in an interview with Pete a year or so ago. In an interview very close to that one Pete also noted the launch was running well and they were rewiring the trains to hopefully correct a lot of issues.. this was an interview done during winter, right after it's first year I believe.. dig deep enough in these forums, I'm sure the link is available if the video is still available on the host site. I can't recall if it was for the local news or a coaster convention or what. It was some winter event

It's possible a lot has happened since then and Pete, nor upper Dollywood management has really said anything about the LR issues other than they are happy with RMC and the ride is running as expected.

I think that's my biggest issue with all of this, Dollywood PR and management will gladly say the ride is running as expected and they are very happy with it, until we hit these extended downtimes and everyone then goes silent. Pete even posted earlier this season that LR was running great and then a month or so later it was down for a week or two.

I'm not blaming folks like Pete, he's good to us on these forums and I'm sure he isn't allowed to talk much about the issues or he would. We all know he reads these post. I'm just like a lot of us on here and wish we had more of an idea what's happening

^I agree with you. Sometimes we are left in the dark but we he is good to us. I have a season pass, live 2 hours away, so when it opens back up luckily I’m good to go. Problem is, you have the GP guests that come to Dollywood, sometimes not knowing anything. Some of them don’t know about the app. They come, see Lightning Rod (because it sticks out and is a go to, especially as you first walk in) go to it and see it closed. Those who have been before may get upset at why it’s closed again.

I’ve read on Facebook (while having many laughs on the side) of guests who have asked about the coaster with no response. Some have been told it’s down for retracking, then get scared to get on it? LOL moment. Some have heard the launch rumor. One lady said her child almost flew out and she didn’t feel safe. Lmao. That’s when I rolled laughing.

My point is these guests are left in the dark with “Lightning Rod is closed for repair”. One man here where I live said “Went down and phone said closed for repair. They’ve been fixing it since it opened”.

I'm just like a lot of us on here and wish we had more of an idea what's happening

I certainly wish someone was more open about the issues.

But then you see idiots in the GP that misunderstand such, think it's unsafe, even dangerous and you realize why they don't say much.

They almost have to say everything us great because the least indication otherwise leads to rampant fear mongering. Even info on the most esoteric sites makes it to the GP.

Look at how fast and wide the rumors about it being "too fast" spread.

I've heard a lot of people say it's unsafe but hey that's the hole Dollywood has dug.. I try and inform folks at the park the ride is 100% safe, although I don't try and speculate on the issue at the park with the GP

I think the reason a lot of people think they almost fly out, or their kid almost flies out, is because most of the GP are not aware of what airtime is. Even when I was there in June I heard numerous people comment on how they almost "came out of their seat".

My point is these guests are left in the dark with “Lightning Rod is closed for repair”. One man here where I live said “Went down and phone said closed for repair. They’ve been fixing it since it opened”.

Well, he's not wrong.

I've heard a lot of people say it's unsafe but hey that's the hole Dollywood has dug.

Nothing DW could say that wouldn't be misconstrued by some and then spread far and wide.

I try and inform folks at the park the ride is 100% safe, although I don't try and speculate on the issue at the park with the GP

I do the same, but it's a loosing battle.

The GP has no clue about operation or safety. The think shoulder harnesses keep you from falling out when inverted.

I think the reason a lot of people think they almost fly out, or their kid almost flies out, is because most of the GP are not aware of what airtime is. Even when I was there in June I heard numerous people comment on how they almost "came out of their seat".

What are you talking about? I almost flew out myself. If it had not been for the seat belt and the lap bar I would have flown out. Good thing I decided to use the seat belt and lap bar.

Even when I was there in June I heard numerous people comment on how they almost "came out of their seat".

What are you talking about? I almost flew out myself. If it had not been for the seat belt and the lap bar I would have flown out. Good thing I decided to use the seat belt and lap bar.

While I suspect get was tongue in cheek...

The belt in LR us just a back up. Normally it does nothing.

But the whole point of the primary restraint is to keep you in.

But with it you never "almost" anything.

Even when I was there in June I heard numerous people comment on how they almost "came out of their seat".

While I suspect get was tongue in cheek...

The belt in LR us just a back up. Normally it does nothing.

But the whole point of the primary restraint is to keep you in.

But with it you never "almost" anything.

With me I never realize LR’s seatbelt is there until around the quad down. Then I’m thinking “this thing is trying to perform a vasectomy on me right now” haha Some people complain about the RMC restraints but for me, I don’t have a problem with them. The seats are snug yes, but I feel “safe” and I don’t get slung from side to side. I am a mildly bigger guy (6ft 2, broad shoulders, 265) and I have the most discomfort on Wild Eagle. How’d I end up here? Haha

Anyway, yes guests think that airtime is them getting thrown to their deaths (giggles to self) but have you ever heard them say they feared for their life on Thunderhead? Is the airtime as strong as LR, no but TH does have some good moments. I feel like the GP see *LR Closed* and run in terror like they’ve seen Godzilla or something. There was one woman fell out of Rockin Roadway facefirst and said it was an unsafe ride and needed shutdown. *facepalm* If you can’t step out of a child’s car ride properly, I don’t think theme parks are your calling.

Normal people aren't in touch with the industry enough to associate the NTaG incident with Lightning Rod because of RMC or RMC trains or anything related to RMC. Normal people don't know who or what RMC is, let alone associate them with specific rides. They may remember the NTaG incident as "some lady fell off a wood roller coaster so they made it a hybrid roller coaster" or "didja hear that SOMEONE FELL OFF THIS RIDE??" or something dumb like that, but it'll have nothing to do with RMC.

People think they're going to die on Lightning Rod because it's an intense ride that gives a lot of extreme airtime so it's meant to simulate that feeling in the first place, plus apparently it's not exactly butter smooth so they think it's gonna fall apart or something. Add constant breakdowns into the mix and it's no wonder people are coming up with "rumors" about things.

The "feeling" is by design, but there's no actual danger.

But these people aren't saying "cool, I felt like I was being thrown out."

They don't get it, and spread fear because of that.

Not at all what I would have guessed. It almost sounds like a rename for Timber Canyon. (I realize it isn’t.)

Back to the new train crossing, do we think this may become backstage area or do we really think we are that close to expanding that far back.

An interview with the HFE president said they are already discussing the next five year plan for Dollywood so I see no reason they wouldn't continue the expansion. So who knows

And all of Dollywoods hints match the Wildwood Grove logo that's floating around.. Sounds like this area might be very heavily themed in a fantasy like way from things I have read/seen.. sounds exciting.

Some of the comments I have read though talk about if it's actually a Grove, why did Dollywood take out all the trees but maybe they will put fantasy type magical trees in

At first “Wildwood Grove” took me by a shock but I like the name honestly. It’s refreshing, plus a grove is usually a flat plot of land with trees and well...that’s what this is (minus the tree part lol). I myself hope they don’t go the fairytale tree route just because, it would honestly be a sore thumb. You have this rustic look all up in Timber Canyon, then right across from Thunderhead in plain sight is a neon green sparkly tree? Nah. Haha I hope they keep the flow of rustic going.

When I think of the words “Explore” and “Wildwood” I think of Dreamland Forest. I can’t help but not go back to thinking of that area of Dollywood. Speaking of the new railroad crossing up there, the route it’s going seems to go down hill a bit, then curve around with the train. I think it will be a way for expansion. If it was a backstage road I wouldn’t think they’d put up a literal crossing sign for it, and the sign is up right now.

At first “Wildwood Grove” took me by a shock but I like the name honestly. It’s refreshing, plus a grove is usually a flat plot of land with trees and well...that’s what this is (minus the tree part lol). I myself hope they don’t go the fairytale tree route just because, it would honestly be a sore thumb. You have this rustic look all up in Timber Canyon, then right across from Thunderhead in plain sight is a neon green sparkly tree? Nah. Haha I hope they keep the flow of rustic going.

When I think of the words “Explore” and “Wildwood” I think of Dreamland Forest. I can’t help but not go back to thinking of that area of Dollywood. Speaking of the new railroad crossing up there, the route it’s going seems to go down hill a bit, then curve around with the train. I think it will be a way for expansion. If it was a backstage road I wouldn’t think they’d put up a literal crossing sign for it, and the sign is up right now.

But that's exactly what all the promotion and artwork for the hints is.. Bright and neon. I think it would fit fine, amusement parks don't have to match.. that's why they have different lands.. different places to get lost in.