TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Robb, you brought a really good point on Twitter that I think is worth re-iterating.

Disney, and ONLY Disney, is capable of combining guest safety with guest satisfaction. I literally got into an "argument" of sorts on Facebook because some brainwashed Cedar Point employee kept INSISTING that these heinous policies that you see at Cedar Fair parks are nothing but necessary. Further, whenever I brought up the fact that places like Disney have made it possible to balance safety without overly restricting guest freedoms, his response was always "no, because what if an idiot does this..."

So yeah, I don't think any of us are wrong to believe that there is a "better way" to handle this.

Robb, you brought a really good point on Twitter that I think is worth re-iterating.

Disney, and ONLY Disney, is capable of combining guest safety with guest satisfaction. I literally got into an "argument" of sorts on Facebook because some brainwashed Cedar Point employee kept INSISTING that these heinous policies that you see at Cedar Fair parks are nothing but necessary. Further, whenever I brought up the fact that places like Disney have made it possible to balance safety without overly restricting guest freedoms, his response was always "no, because what if an idiot does this..."

So yeah, I don't think any of us are wrong to believe that there is a "better way" to handle this.

I agree with all of this to an extent, the only issue I have is that Disney doesn't have coasters that will suck phones right out of your pocket if it isn't sealed.. nor do they have rides that can drop a phone on someone walking below (happened at a six flags park I believe). Buy I do agree, Disney has found a very good balant of safety and satisfaction.. Disney shines when it comes to guest satisfaction and they have always helped me out and I have never felt unsafe on any Disney ride or in any Disney park.

Also, I do feel some of these policies at cedar fair parks, like six flags parks, are to help increase revenue from the parks, even if they are primarily for safety.. I'm sure some bean counter as figured out how much extra cash they can make by developing these policies.. I know the key purpose is for safety but if it's only for safety, a free locker system would work just fine. Or maybe first hour free or something, that way someone doesn't Jack the locker all day

Edit: I say that but then almost lost my phone on rocking rollercoaster a few years ago.. I found it in the floor of the train and that's the only time I have come close to losing anything at a theme park! I guess maybe I felt to safe about not losing it

Edit 2: I don't mind paying for lockers though! I'm the type that will spend 2 cycles in the family dryer to dry off.. that's a waste of money, not lockers lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm new here and I'm planning for my first trip to Cedar Point by the end of the summer. It's my understanding that they will not allow you to wear a waist pack (fanny pack) on Steel Vengeance, along with no cellphones. Are waist packs allowed to be worn on any of the other rides, or have they been banned as well? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Hi, I'm new here and I'm planning for my first trip to Cedar Point by the end of the summer. It's my understanding that they will not allow you to wear a waist pack (fanny pack) on Steel Vengeance, along with no cellphones. Are waist packs allowed to be worn on any of the other rides, or have they been banned as well? Sorry if this has been asked before.
They were allowed this Sat - Monday when I was there, at least most rides.. but the phone policy hadn't taken affect then either. I'd say your safe though

only issue I have is that Disney doesn't have coasters that will suck phones right out of your pocket if it isn't sealed..

Are you kidding me? Have you ridden Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom? That ride has some moments of ejector airtime that riders don’t expect and can’t prepare for. Still I ask the question... I’ve ridden Rock n Roller Coaster holding a tri-pod in my hand and a back pack but I can’t have my phone on Steel Vengeance? And I’d argue that most Disney guests are probably less seasoned Coaster riders and Disney’s coasters are open longer, have a higher capacity, thus creating significantly more riders and a much larger potential for incidents, yet there are very few to no problems. Why?

Space Mountain runs TWENTY SIX trains at a time and is open 12-15 hours a day 365 days a year. If cell phones and loose items are really such a huge issue why aren’t we hearing more about them on rides like that?

But even still, my issue isn’t even about if I can take my phone on the ride or not, just let me have it in a two hour line.

Edited by robbalvey

^. This is the solution in my mind as well. Thunderbolt at Coney Island does this as well, you give over your cell or what ever is in your pockets and get a plastic srunchy with your cubby number as you walk into the station, as soon as you walk out they hand it back to you. Painless, simple and FREE (other than the $10 your already paying to ride lol)

Sometimes I wish we could just go back to the old shelves with sliding doors for each train on the exit side of the station...

One solution is the X2 way. Just have fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo 10 minutes or so before boarding so that you can have your phone through the majority of the line.

The only problem with X2's lockers, in my opinion, is that they cost a dollar or two. I understand the argument that it's only a dollar or two, no big deal, but if I've brought special cargo shorts with pockets that will absolutely make sure my phone doesn't fall out of my pocket, it's just a bit strange that I still have to pay for a locker to hold ny stuff. Especially if SFMM was my home park, and I go once a week or so, that locker cost could add up if they were mandatory. I definitely prefer this system over what they're currently doing on Steel Vengeance, but if I'm going to be forced to use a locker to hold my phone, which I already can hold securely, it just seems weird that I would have to pay a few bucks. It isn't the money that's a big deal, it's just that I've already come to the park prepared.

And one question about X2's lockers: I've been on X2, but that was back before I was as into coasters, so I can't quite remember the layout of the station. How do they make sure that exiting riders, while getting their stuff from their locker, don't jump back into the station and ride again?

Edited by Airboss

Like I said earlier, while this decision is mostly for safety and I know that, it's also a revenue driver and the park knows that.. otherwise they would come up with a free solution.

IMO, if you had a free solution, more people would opt to use it I would think. Paying for lockers, if they have no one there check-in your pockets, I know folks, myself included, are just going to leave my phone in my pocket.. I won't get it out while in line, which is frustrating, but I won't be using the locker either, unless I don't have fully closeable cargo pockets.

One solution is the X2 way. Just have fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo 10 minutes or so before boarding so that you can have your phone through the majority of the line.

The only problem with X2's fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, in my opinion, is that they cost a dollar or two. I understand the argument that it's only a dollar or two, no big deal, but if I've brought special cargo shorts with pockets that will absolutely make sure my phone doesn't fall out of my pocket, it's just a bit strange that I still have to pay for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to hold ny stuff. Especially if SFMM was my home park, and I go once a week or so, that fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo cost could add up if they were mandatory. I definitely prefer this system over what they're currently doing on Steel Vengeance, but if I'm going to be forced to use a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to hold my phone, which I already can hold securely, it just seems weird that I would have to pay a few bucks. It isn't the money that's a big deal, it's just that I've already come to the park prepared.

And one question about X2's fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo: I've been on X2, but that was back before I was as into coasters, so I can't quite remember the layout of the station. How do they make sure that exiting riders, while getting their stuff from their fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, don't jump back into the station and ride again?

X2’s cost $1 and it’s only for things that can’t fit in your pocket. So even if you only have regular pockets, you can still put your phone in them. You just have to put bigger stuff like bags or bottles, or anything that can’t fit in your pocket in there. Since I usually have my bottle with me, I’ll put my phone in the locker too. These could obviously be made free for SV and be put closer to the station to make it work.

For X2, you load and unload on the same side of the station so there’s a point where people entering and exiting meet up in the station by the lockers. The way they circumvent line cutting is by having an employee in the locker area who also groups guests into rows and controls the flow into the lockers from the regular line. Fun fact, any ride operator can do this no matter which area of the park they’re assigned to. You don’t even have to be trained at X2 to do it.

This is probably a totally stupid thing to mention - considering I have no idea how well it’s working with guests in the park at all. But I’d assume with the new phone policy, they’re going to remove the Steel Vengeance AR boards? You know, those billboards throughout the queue that really only serve the purpose of being for Augmented Reality? They basically encourage cell phone usage in line, I can’t imagine they’d stay after this new rule has been put in place. Which to my understanding of the battle for Cedar Point app would mean that they should just remove “Team Steel Vengeance” altogether. Again - totally not super important but it is a small detail that I’m not sure anyone thought about

This is probably a totally stupid thing to mention - considering I have no idea how well it’s working with guests in the park at all. But I’d assume with the new phone policy, they’re going to remove the Steel Vengeance AR boards? You know, those billboards throughout the queue that really only serve the purpose of being for Augmented Reality? They basically encourage cell phone usage in line, I can’t imagine they’d stay after this new rule has been put in place. Which to my understanding of the battle for Cedar Point app would mean that they should just remove “Team Steel Vengeance” altogether. Again - totally not super important but it is a small detail that I’m not sure anyone thought about

I would imagine that this is a temporary “fix” to the problem until the park feels they find a better solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said earlier, while this decision is mostly for safety and I know that, it's also a revenue driver and the park knows that.. otherwise they would come up with a free solution.

I would actually be willing to pay MORE money to take my phone in the line with me! How's THAT for an option? Come up with something where if you want to take your phone in line with you, you have to pay an extra $10 or $20 bucks for the day and wear a neon-glow sticker or wristband that loudly says I HAVE MY PHONE WITH ME so that when you get up to the platform, the ride ops know to take it away from you and put it in a bin.

Sure, there may not be that many people who would actually pay to do it, but it's an "option" and that's all I'm asking.

These parks are creative enough to come up with some of the most amazing crazy rides in the world, I refuse to believe they aren't creative enough to come up with an idea that is better for their guests regarding this issue.

Edited by robbalvey

I don’t see what the big fuss is about. It’s $8 for an all day traveling locker. It’s park policy so respect it and if you don’t like it don’t go. Plus you might find some people have cool stories to tell

I don’t see what the big fuss is about. It’s $8 for an all day traveling fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. It’s park policy so respect it and if you don’t like it don’t go. Plus you might find some people have cool stories to tell

It's 2018, and most people like having their phone to check their social media and be occupied during a, let's say, 2 hour wait (cause Steel Vengeance has been like that), (not saying all people but) people can be introverts and don't like associating with other people in line, and would rather have something to do in line.

For people that think this is purely a money grab by the park, it is my understanding that the lockers are not owned by the park. With that being said, I also hear that a large portion of the locker fee goes to the locker company.

Is there any truth to this, or was the employee that I heard say this crazy?

It’s park policy so respect it and if you don’t like it don’t go.

I don't disagree with this, actually. I actually DO NOT go on rides where I have to stand in a long line and can't bring my phone with me. If I was at Cedar Point and I had to stand in an hour+ line for Steel Vengeance and I couldn't bring my phone with me, sorry, I'm not riding. I still have not seen the new queue for Hulk because I will not stand in line for that coaster if I can't bring my phone with me. It's my choice and I'd rather spend my money at parks or go on rides that don't inconvenience me.

Plus you might find some people have cool stories to tell

What if I'm not a "people person" and I don't really want to hear someone else's stories?

Edited by robbalvey

For people that think this is purely a money grab by the park, it is my understanding that the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are not owned by the park.

That is true. But I also assume that the park gets a decent cut, otherwise those lockers wouldn't be there from a third party and the park would just do it themselves. I can tell you having worked at parks that have operating participants at the park, that yes, there are LOTS of third parties that operate within parks and the deal is usually very beneficial to both the park and the participant.

tl:dr - Everyone is making money.

Edited by robbalvey

I would actually be willing to pay MORE money to take my phone in the line with me! How's THAT for an option? Come up with something where if you want to take your phone in line with you, you have to pay an extra $10 or $20 bucks for the day and wear a neon-glow sticker or wristband that loudly says I HAVE MY PHONE WITH ME so that when you get up to the platform, the ride ops know to take it away from you and put it in a bin.

Sure, there may not be that many people who would actually pay to do it, but it's an "option" and that's all I'm asking.

These parks are creative enough to come up with some of the most amazing crazy rides in the world, I refuse to believe they aren't creative enough to come up with an idea that is better for their guests regarding this issue.

No I agree, people pay for premium type stuff like having phones in lines and like family dryers. Parks know this so that's a good option, pay a premium to have your phone in line.. although, I'd rather do it for free but I also expect to spend money at a theme park

Entertainment isn't the only reason a person needs their phone in line. Some people need to be on call at work, some people need to be able to contact their family, etc. A parents at home not being able to reach their kid in line for multiple hours would be rather concerning. Of course you could just tell me, "well, don't ride then", but really? I'm don't want to miss out on a ride many call one of the best in the world because I can't have my phone in line. I would just have to deal with not being reachable for multiple hours, which would not put my mind at ease particularly well. I hope their solution is temporary.

^ that's what I worry about. I've happily waited over an hour on multiple occasions for SV this year and had my phone on me because I need it because of family issues. If I were to put it in a locker and not see a text or something for 2 hours it would be a big deal.

I know that my Mom is self-employed so it would really suck if she was in a 2 hour line without her phone and a client needed to contact her. We're not stupid so we won't use it on the ride, keeping it in safe pockets, but I don't think I can overstate how massive of an inconvenience this is. Hoping that they figure out a decent policy by later this year so we can get her on this with some peace of mind.

It also doesn't make sense with the huge push for the Battle for CP and the general CP app. I normally use time spent in line to explore food options and show times to decide what to do after the ride I'm queueing for, in addition to general entertainment. And as a previous poster mentioned, all the AR boards are losing most of their functionality and the park is likely going to lose tons of positive PR from people taking pictures in line (I mean, anyone who has stood in that line can attest to how many people will Snapchat a quick video of the train coming down that first drop to share).

I'm really disappointed in this policy. You can do way better CP.

Remember, there are 17 other coasters you can ride where you don’t have to lock away your phone in line!

Such a stupid argument. I’m not even entertaining this with a real response because it’s not worth my time.