TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair and Trash cans

It seems that most people here always trash CF for having too many trash cans (and concrete) in their parks.

I do not understand the complaint here.

I personally don't notice them when I go to CF parks. I do notice that CF parks are MUCH cleaner than 6 Flags parks and that stands out in my mind alot more.

I have never heard a general park guest say "there are just too many trash cans here" but at other parks you do hear "this place is disgusting there is trash everywhere"

It seems parks just can't win with us.

JEFF

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't notice the trash cans at Cedar Point, but I did notice them in the entry plaza at Knotts. They were very bright red, and there were way too many of them in such a small area that serves so little food. But it didn't cause me to like the park less. Personally I'd rather have too many trash cans and always have a place for people to put their trash, as opposed to not enough trash cans and people throwing trash everywhere!

-Julie

^Exactly!

I also don't think it's a bad thing, I just think it looks absolutely ridiculous most of the time!

BTW, Knotts is pretty much the dirtiest CF Park and they too have been Cedar Fairized in the trash can department to no avail.

^, ^^They got it spot on. We're not complaining at all. It's just funny.

For instance, I think my friend and I counted about 17-20 of them in the plaza by MF while waiting for my brother/dad to get off (We were on the train before them).

It never bothered me that much, as I don't go to the amusement park for the beauty of the midway, I go for the rides. There are a few parks, expecially at certain times of the year, that I go for the park environment. For instance, Dollywood or The Beach's Holiday Fest at Christmas time. CF's parks have always seemed cleaner to me, although I haven't been to KBF, so I can't vouch for that. I'd rather have too many trash cans than not enough. It also makes the parks workers jobs better when every trash can isn't overflowing, because there are plenty of them. I would guess it would cut down on the number of bees at each trash can also, which can be a safety issue for park workers and guests.

-James Dillaman

I don't really mind the trash can thing considering they did that whole study on having them every so often to minimize litter within the park. If they think that will minimize the litter, then good for them. I just think it looks utterly ridiculous to have them all over the place, and really makes the parks looks more and more commercialized.

I've found it's Dorney that causes that complaint.

It seemed that at Dorney they had a trash can every 5 feet. The main midway was lined with them 4 across at like 10 foot intervals.

It's just ugly when you have hundreds of trash cans on a small midway.

Yes, while it was kind of an "inside joke" after we took this photo in 2004:

But the "non-joke" part of it was the amount of trash cans and concrete that appeared at other Cedar Fair parks paving over nice themed areas (Silver Bullet at Knott's is an example.)

So yeah, it's mostly a "joke"....and a really funny one, IMO!

--Robb

I've found it's Dorney that causes that complaint.

It seemed that at Dorney they had a trash can every 5 feet. The main midway was lined with them 4 across at like 10 foot intervals.

It's just ugly when you have hundreds of trash cans on a small midway.

Yes, while it was kind of an "inside joke" after we took this photo in 2004:

But the "non-joke" part of it was the amount of trash cans and concrete that appeared at other Cedar Fair parks paving over nice themed areas (Silver Bullet at Knott's is an example.)

So yeah, it's mostly a "joke"....and a really funny one, IMO!

--Robb

After going to Dorney in August, the parking lots even had tons of trash cans and yet after leaving the park late at night, the lots were filled with trash! It shows that some people are too lazy to walk about 4 feet to the nearest trash can!

I love it when there are a lot of trash cans in a park. It keeps all the trash away from the ground, and it is nice, because I really don't have to walk anywhere to throw my trash away. It's a horrible thing how they actually need to put that many trash cans in a park though, it shows how much of a slob some people can be.

Also, I do still find it amusing though seeing so many trash cans in one place!

That DP picture is really great.

FWIW, the additional trash cans were the only really noticable difference that I saw at PKD this year. I didn't take any pictures, but we did spend a little time counting the paces between trash cans on International Street. (The greatest distance between 2 cans that we found was about 10 paces, the shortest was 1 pace. Most were about 6 or 7 paces apart.)

Unfortunately, though, they weren't the nice open cans you see at DP. They were big black rubbermaids with difficult to push flaps that make you touch them in order to throw something away. Consequently, many of the many trash cans have trash piled up on top of and around them. People are pigs.

Less noticably, little numbers started popping up on each car of each train. I wondered if that might be a Cedar Fair thing. I accidentally wondered aloud to my friend Nicole, who promptly made fun of me for being a nerd.

IMO, the trash cans are almost a good thing. In today's lazy society, the parks make that many trash cans, because people are too lazy to walk maybe 20 FEET! If they don't have that many trash cans, then people would throw their things on the ground.

Here's another theory that I could think of. More trash cans=less people needed=less employees hired=less money spent overall. if there's less trash, then they need less employees, thus saving them money and having the trash cans almost pay for themselves. Of course, I could be wrong.

~Mike

Maybe Six Flags can go into a Cedar Fair Park, and get some free trash cans!

Or they could melt down SFNO's B:TR and turn in into B&M cans for all of their parks. I can see the press release now:

In an effort to please coaster enthusiast everywhere, Mark Shapiro has decided that all Six Flags Properties will recieve at least 3 new B&M's each. All of this with no additional increases in ticket prices!

Join us in 2007 as we celebrate the year of B&M.

rbpia "Ya know, not such a bad idea. Would probably clean the parks up quite a bit"

i guess Cedar Point's got lotsa trash cans every 'round in the

park and wondered its park was kinda one of the tidiest theme

park in the planet few years ago. what a great park is.....!

too bad some japanese parks have even got tons of trashes in

the ride's queue since i do ever see 'em

^ You guys are just not getting the joke!

I totally get it Robb! After my trip to Dorney this past summer, in almost every picture I took at Dorney, you can see like 20 trash cans.

It's like a "how many can you find in the photo" game... like in the children's "Highlights" magazine, except you know, not as cool.

Laura "I spy... 6 bazillion Dorney trash cans" Huls

I wonder how many trash cans will appear at the former Paramount parks.

You think trash cans are bad? Look at Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA. I counted several drink and food stands in front of the Hulk. If you stand in front of Cafe 4, you can see a drink/food stand in a building, another drink/food stand next to it, drinks available at the small Hulk souvenir stand, and another drink/food stand by Storm Force Acceleratron. Not to mention to food and drinks in Cafe 4!