28 members have voted

1. 1. Which park to visit?

• Kings Dominion
    • Six Flags Great Adventure
    • Knoebefluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo
    • Hersheypark
    • Other? (Explain below)

PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!

Hey all! So it's about time for our annual trip to DC. I know that I will be going to BGW on a specific date already... and I'm trying to decide what other park to visit on my other free day.

My Thoughts On Current Options:

- Kings Dominion Obviously has Twisted Timbers which is a HUGE draw!! But not sure if the park would be more preferred over the others. Not to mention last time I was at the park it was a less than good experience. So it would give the park a chance to redeem itself... Or I run the risk of ending up with another awful experience?

- Six Flags Great Adventure Such a GREAT park!! I was there last year, and had a FANTASTIC time!! I did miss out on my KK credit, which isn't a big problem given that I have ridden it before. But Zumanjaro was an AMAZING experience!! Almost great enough to draw me back to the park!! That being said, there really isn't anything "new" at the park for me to experience between now and my last visit, so I was thinking of pushing it out to next year when there *might* be something new for me, and filling it's space with a different park this year.

- Knoebels I know most people are going to say "OMG!!! MUST DO KNOEBELS!!" However, I have NEVER been to Knoebels, and the only chance I will have to visit it this year will be on opening weekend... Which has their BOGO sale going on. I've heard horror stories about how packed the park get's on these BOGO weekends. I'm afraid of what type of experience that will cause me to have at the park. If the park is as amazing as everyone says it is, I'd rather visit on a day that wasn't so crowded?? Unless any of you all have experienced the park on BOGO weekend and think it is still worth it?

- Hersheypark Having not been to Hershey in over a decade a LOT has changed at the park!! I mean if nothing else there is Skyrush! However, I'll be at the park on a Sunday, and they don't offer their "unlimited line skip" thing for the summer any more... So not sure if the park would be rather packed... and I'd be stuck in lines all day long? Any advice from the regulars in this area as to how busy the park might be this coming Sunday?

- Other I think I have researched most parks around the DC area, and these are the main ones that are close enough to make day trips out of. Six Flags Great Adventure is pushing the limits of how far I want to drive round trip in one day. However, I did it last year and it was fine. So I wouldn't mind doing it again.

So far our schedule is:

BGW - Friday

SFA - Saturday (I know SFA it's the best and most people would pick a different park over SFA. However, it just lines up with timing that we can spend half a day in the park. Most of the other parks aren't really half day parks.)

??? - Sunday

So any advice you all can provide on which park would be ideal to visit on that Sunday, which would also allow me the best chance of having a great day at the park is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Hershey. Only because you haven't been there in a decade and because Skyrush. Sundays are MUCH better than Saturdays. You could always get the fast track to at least hit the coasters once without waiting and then go back and wait for the ones you really liked. Also, I know you're a big fan of VIP tours and they do have one.

God, this is so tough...

Are you staying in DC every night? I'd strongly recommend not attempting to drive to BGW on Friday morning from DC. The Express lanes will be closed in your direction and it'll likely be pure misery. If you can get there Thursday night (or at least get as far as Fredericksburg) I'd highly recommend it but I sort of feel like you already booked a hotel in DC and you'll be operating out of that room every day. Is that a correct assumption?

My initial thought was Kings Dominion for the convenience factor but now that I see that booking a hotel in the Williamsburg / Richmond / Ashland area and going back to back days isn't likely feasible it makes that seem slightly less appealing. I'm still leaning towards it because of Twisted Timbers but then you have to do that hellish drive twice in 3 days round trip and it's just the f*cking worst.

So then we have Knoebels vs Hersheypark. Obviously Knoebels is my favorite park in the entire world, but do you really want your first experience to be on a BOGO opening weekend where some rides may not be ready (like their super cool flume), crowds will be huge and they'll only be open from 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM when you could go to Hershey on a day where they're open from 10-10? That's tough.

Are you with people? The BOGO wristband is a great deal so if you can take advantage of it that is helpful. It's also Sunday which will probably be better than Saturday. Hershey will be slammed because they're always slammed and their skip the line pass is trash (though still worth considering if you care about Laff Trakk) but it's a great park too. If you go with people and you might spring for the crappy skip-the-line pass at Hershey then the price difference between Knoebels and Hershey is insane and that could help sway you towards Knoebels.

Honestly I can see the argument for everything except Great Adventure. There's nothing new and it's annoying drive. It's not as bad as 95 south from DC, but it's still bad.

I guess this is my thought:

- If you don't feel like you'll have the opportunity to easily go to Knoebels on a non-bogo weekend any time soon, go to Knoebels. Any Knoebels is better than no Knoebels.

- If you feel like you will have that opportunity within the next few years then go to Kings Dominion or Hershey.

while I would agree Knoebels is a must visit, I also agree with your thinking, and you should plan a trip that would allow you to stay a full day (or more.. we did evening before for a few hours, then a full day the next day.. gave us lots of time for Fascination ).

so taking Knoebels off the table, among your other options, I'd lean towards Hersheypark, or KD if you MUST do a third theme park.

(and a 2nd day at BGW isn't an option).

but the reason I voted "other" ?

personally, I'd skip a Theme Park on Sunday, and hit the Smithsonians on the National Mall. On a Sunday, you could easily do (at minimum) the Natural History Museum, and either the American History (next door) or Air and Space (across the mall).

Depending on your interest level (ie: if you don't care about some things in the Museums and open to skip), you can get at least 4-5 of the Smithsonian's in one day without rushing. Heck, depending on what weekend you visit, they might have started the extended "summer" hours by the time you go.

just my 2cents. . .as the Smithonians are WELL worth a visit, and they are free. (so I'd choose those, if you've never been).

It's between Hershey and KD, although I voted for KD because I haven't been to Hershey in many years, and haven't been on Fahrenheit or Skyrush yet. Sorry you had a bad time at KD last time you went. I think they'll most likely make up for if you go back!

Do you have a Platinum Pass? If so, you'd pass Kings Dominion on your way to Six Flags America. I'd say hop in to ride Twisted Timbers and I305 before moving onto Six Flags America.

Knoebels vs. Hershey is a tough call. I prefer Knoebels, but having heard stories of busy BOGO weekends, I think Hershey may be smarter. You can't go wrong with either though.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!!!

God, this is so tough...

Now you understand the struggle I am having!

Are you staying in DC every night? I'd strongly recommend not attempting to drive to BGW on Friday morning from DC. The Express lanes will be closed in your direction and it'll likely be pure misery. If you can get there Thursday night (or at least get as far as Fredericksburg) I'd highly recommend it but I sort of feel like you already booked a hotel in DC and you'll be operating out of that room every day. Is that a correct assumption?

That's correct. We are staying in DC every night. We make this trip every year, so I'm pretty familiar with the traffic from DC to BGW, and KD. It's annoying, but nothing I can't handle.

So then we have Knoebels vs Hersheypark. Obviously Knoebels is my favorite park in the entire world, but do you really want your first experience to be on a BOGO opening weekend where some rides may not be ready (like their super cool flume), crowds will be huge and they'll only be open from 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM when you could go to Hershey on a day where they're open from 10-10? That's tough.

The longer hours sure makes Hershey more appealing... Not to mention if some of the rides may not be ready at Knoebels, I'd probably rather wait till I can visit later in the season to ensure I don't have as high of a possibility for a less than ideal visit. I've heard such great things about the park, I'd hate to set my self up for failure by having my first visit during the BOGO weekend.

Are you with people? The BOGO wristband is a great deal so if you can take advantage of it that is helpful. It's also Sunday which will probably be better than Saturday. Hershey will be slammed because they're always slammed and their skip the line pass is trash (though still worth considering if you care about Laff Trakk) but it's a great park too. If you go with people and you might spring for the crappy skip-the-line pass at Hershey then the price difference between Knoebels and Hershey is insane and that could help sway you towards Knoebels.

I'm not going with people. It will be just me. My partner has to work the entire week. (Except the afternoon we get to go to SFA together!) So the BOGO deal really doesn't appeal to me that much. However, I'm really disappointed that Hershey doesn't have the unlimited line skip anymore. Which is making the park less appealing.

- If you don't feel like you'll have the opportunity to easily go to Knoebels on a non-bogo weekend any time soon, go to Knoebels. Any Knoebels is better than no Knoebels.

- If you feel like you will have that opportunity within the next few years then go to Kings Dominion or Hershey.

I'm sure withing the next year or two I would have the opportunity to visit Knoebels on a non-bogo weekend. So it might be worth waiting.

so taking Knoebels off the table, among your other options, I'd lean towards Hersheypark, or KD if you MUST do a third theme park.

(and a 2nd day at BGW isn't an option).

I thought of doing a second day at BGW, but was kind of wanting to add a little variety to the visit.

personally, I'd skip a Theme Park on Sunday, and hit the Smithsonians on the National Mall. On a Sunday, you could easily do (at minimum) the Natural History Museum, and either the American History (next door) or Air and Space (across the mall).

So the way our trip actually works, is each year the Saturday that we are there my partner and I have the ability to spend from 9am-3pm at the Smithsonian. We do a different museum each year! Once we finish up the museums, he goes back to work and I head over to SFA (since we have Season Passes and it's so close it's pretty much a no-brainer to make a trip over there.)

...the Smithonians are WELL worth a visit, and they are free.

Agreed 100%!! Anyone going to DC should for sure take the time to hit them up!

Do you have a Platinum Pass? If so, you'd pass Kings Dominion on your way to Six Flags America. I'd say hop in to ride Twisted Timbers and I305 before moving onto Six Flags America.

Knoebels vs. Hershey is a tough call. I prefer Knoebels, but having heard stories of busy BOGO weekends, I think Hershey may be smarter. You can't go wrong with either though.

We don't do Cedar Fair passes, so if I were going to do KD, I would want to at least make most of a day out of it!

Who knew picking what park to go to would be so hard?!

I would pick another time to go to Knoebels, personally. I really enjoy breaking up my visit into two days and either doing the non ride things mostly the first day and do a wristband the second day and going hard, or buying discount tickets from Weiss Market (20% off) and just taking it easy both days on rides. I can't imagine having a great first experience if it were crowded and I was limited to 6 hours. It would just be a tease. I can't say for sure about your other options.

I think that it might depend on where you're going on Monday. Are you flying out for this trip? Are you going home Monday? If so, where do you live? KD, HP, and SFGadv are all great parks, so you won't be too disappointed with any of those choices. A key factor should be geographic convenience. Clearly, if you need to be heading down south anyway, going to KD. If you need to venture up north, SFGadv is the obvious choice. If you're flying out of DC, maybe stay local with HP. SFGadv is a huge park with a lot of marquee attractions, but not much has been added. Maybe a good approach would be to wait it out until they add something new. KD has an elite Giga coaster and an elite RMC. The rest of the park is pretty solid too. If you can make it to KD, I'd see what you could do to make that a reality.

This is a no brainer - Hersheypark! Especially if you haven't been in a long time. Sundays are usually not anywhere near as bad as Saturdays, plus their skip-the-line system does exist and while it's not perfect, it would certainly more than do the job for you. It's not terribly expensive, either. HP is a beautiful park with an outstanding collection of rides.

I voted Hershey but really a tie to KD ... Hershey should be OK then but it is a more crowded park on average than KD. You have to drive by there to get to Knoebels. As to a suggestion of not doing theme park one day, if so that should be Saturday because it's Saturday. As to driving to GrAdv -- not by day 3... The one real traffic warning is if you go KD on Sunday, don't expect to bail early because northbound I-95 on Sunday afternoons has become really bad. Most of the rest you probably expect.

Traffic to BGW on Friday will not be too bad as long as you leave early in the morning. Not sure where you are staying in DC, but as long as you hit I-95 South in Virginia before 10:00am you should be fine.

Do you have to stay with your partner Friday night? I would get a cheap hotel near Kings Dominion Friday night and be there when the park opens Saturday morning. There are coupons and discounts out there for $36 admission. There was a $33 Groupon, but I think that ended. Go to Twisted Timbers first, then Volcano, than I-305. You could be done and on the road by 1:00pm, meet your partner and hit SFA (if you have to) by 3:00pm. Traffic either direction on I-95 Saturday will suck big time. If you have to be in DC Friday night, I would not return to KD on Sunday!

Honestly, I would skip SFA on Saturday and just relax after doing the museums. Nothing is new at SFA, so unless you really have to go, I would skip it.

If you haven't been to HP in a while, I would do that on Sunday. HP will be fairly crowded on Sunday, but the lines should be manageable. Kneobels is great, but it will be crowded opening weekend, especially with the BOGO deal. On a normal weekend, it is possible to do Knoebels in the morning and then hit HP in the late afternoon, but both parks may be too crowded for that to be feasible that weekend.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

I voted for KD on the basis of Twisted Timbers alone. Only thing is, I know you travel a lot, so if you know you'd get there fairly soon regardless, we might be back to square one among those choices. KD was fine for me in 2012, and they seem to have improved noticeably since then--I know major chain parks can be hit or miss, and there's always potential for a bad day, but I'm semi-confident Kings Dominion is one of the better parks at this time.