TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sunset Valley [RCT2]

Sunset Valley will be the newest park in the Sunset Parks chain. With this park, I'm going to put more of an emphasis on theming (my other parks don't really have themed areas, just a generic, Cedar Fair-like look) but I also have big plans for this park in the thrill department. This will be my largest project to date.

I'm planning on opening this park to the public in sections, the first section has been opened and has a New England style theme to it. It features a few flat rides and a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop named "Firecracker".

Comments and suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

1.thumb.jpg.df96ccda1ca103d70e3fd405c7d830eb.jpg

The entrance area.

2.thumb.jpg.eb6f11d4bb129eb603855093f8d88ff5.jpg

When you walk through the gates, the first area you see is a walkway around the swan boat pond featuring various restaurants and shops.

3.thumb.jpg.76c5ee8447fb7a02fe88ad3843ab8a5b.jpg

Firecracker is currently the parks only coaster. It's a classic Schwarzkopf shuttle loop and it's a major crowd pleaser.

Edited by coasterbill

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, good so far. The Schwarzkopf seems to really be able to fit in there. The foliage around it makes the park look nicer and it gives it a vintage feel. I also really like the swan boats in the middle and the entrance. Keep up the good work.

A new section of the park has opened, it's far from completed but it's sectioned off pretty nicely so I was able to open it to the guests. This section has a "South of the Border" kind of theme to it. It also features a new coaster, Rattler which is an Arrow 7 inversion coaster!

Feedback greatly appreciated! Also, I need a name for this new section so suggestions for that are appreciated as well.

1.thumb.jpg.8585fee7060129616e3b154456e7819c.jpg

The new area doesn't have a name yet, any suggestions?

2.thumb.jpg.17dd286efc33b2679c8a5fb133091589.jpg

Rattler seems to be an instant hit with guests!

3.thumb.jpg.20ba5576aba265b5d9c5a4f68ced1c32.jpg

The section also features a Bumper Car ride.

4.thumb.jpg.36f765156feb0e49e0f8ea79e816fe67.jpg

Rattler is kind of off by itself for now, but that won't last too long.

I like Desert Valley, I'll wait to see if anyone else has some suggestions but so far that's the frontrunner.

VERY NICE! I can;t wait for the download! One question, can you put up the brick path you used up for download?

For the name, how about Rattlesnake Dunes, Thrill Plateau, Swift Sands, and Quicksand Queue. I can't think of any!

I don't remember where I got that path but it's the first time I've used it. I love it but it doesn't have a matching que line or up/down hill section which is a pain. How do I find out which .dat file that is?

And as far as the names, I love them but I just thought of something... this section is really more of a Mexican theme so it's not really a desert. I've brought some cool Egyptian theming that I've never used before (custom not the crap that comes with the game) so I'll probably have a desert section and use one of those names for that. This probably needs more of a "Mexican" kind of name. (Similar to Plaza del Carnaval at Great Adventure). Any ideas for that?

Thanks again for the feedback, as always I really appreciate it.

I don't remember where I got that path but it's the first time I've used it. I love it but it doesn't have a matching que line or up/down hill section which is a pain. How do I find out which .dat file that is?

And as far as the names, I love them but I just thought of something... this section is really more of a Mexican theme so it's not really a desert. I've brought some cool Egyptian theming that I've never used before (custom not the crap that comes with the game) so I'll probably have a desert section and use one of those names for that. This probably needs more of a "Mexican" kind of name. (Similar to Plaza del Carnaval at Great Adventure). Any ideas for that?

Thanks again for the feedback, as always I really appreciate it.

Youre welcome! I really like these parks and when you relase it for download I'd love to check it out. For the name, how 'bout Spnashin' Spanish, Hasta Fiesta, and so forth.

I love Hasta Fiesta! That will be the new name of this area.

Molemaster43, I'll probably use Desert Valley later on. Thanks for the great suggestions! Anyway, Hasta Fiesta is now complete, in addition to Rattler, this section now features a rapids ride, an indoor scrambler, a few other flats and El Diablo... the parks newest coaster, and first wood coaster. It's a mid-sized woodie and the first non-looping coaster in the park. It's a fast paced ride that the whole family can enjoy and so far it's a big hit with guests.

Now I think it's time to give everyone a little perspective on this park and the massive scale of this project. There are 5 other parks in the Sunset Parks chain (4 of which I've yet to upload but I'll get around to that soon) and this is slated to be the largest and the best. This park is being built on a 255 x 255 map (though it's very mountainous so some of that land can't be built on).

Because of the large scale of this park, I'm doing a few things differently.

1) Que lines are much shorter than normal. Generally in my parks I build long, Six Flags style que lines with a lot of switchbacks. In this park, the lines are much shorter because parks can only hold about 9000 people in RCT2. If I were to build them the way I normally do, the park would end up pretty empty once it was completed because everyone would be waiting in line and nobody would be walking around. This is also good news for the guests because lines are shorter and they get to ride more rides in less time!

2) This park will feature a network of transportation rides to help get guests around this huge park. So far, construction has already started on the Swiss Sky Ride (screenshot below). This ride will have 4 stations and riders can choose which direction they want to go from each station (so technically it's 4 different sky rides that form a large square). In addition to this, there are plans for a monorail and a train ride with multiple stations.

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated. This will be a large project and I'm hoping to make it my best to date so all advice / feedback will help me do that.

1.thumb.jpg.fa4537752eadb628a1a5f72e4d286750.jpg

El Diablo has arrived! This GCI woodie has quickly become the most popular ride in the park!

2.thumb.jpg.dca96aa6304757aa4dbb71b0fdef9c11.jpg

El Diablo's loading area is on an island created by the "Rio Grande Expedition" rapids ride.

3.thumb.jpg.cf4c0f6ccb160c62ac0def713ad07bc2.jpg

The backside of the station and the rapids ride.

4.thumb.jpg.0323b852851d409fad93b83cf2f6d166.jpg

Remember when I said that Rattler wouldn't be off by itself in the woods for long? It has a lot of company now.

5.thumb.jpg.5f6051ace7b71125a672fba3d03ac689.jpg

The front side of the Hasta Fiesta section features a rotor ride and many shops / restaurants.

6.thumb.jpg.ec275590b643e42eb4f4427481d7822a.jpg

This indoor scrambler ride is extremely popular and always draws long lines.

7.thumb.jpg.083d23be29d165b14d79b30e6c06d745.jpg

An aerial view of the park. Not all of this is build-able land but it's tough to see hills / mountains from this angle.

8.thumb.jpg.a296757bb765b04a4f22a555641a9489.jpg

Another angle of the park.

9.thumb.jpg.1056ce53042dfc1da7c6b1414c6c8c48.jpg

The Hasta Fiesta skyride station. This ride is not open yet, but because this ride is being built as 4 separate skyrides (to allow guests to go in each direction from each station) the one on the right should open relatively soon.

Great idea, I'll try adding some more supports. I don't have supports for the diagonal sections but there are a lot of places where I can add some in.

As far as the park size, there are large mountains on most sides of the park which are hard to see. Here is a picture that shows the approximate build-able area.

On the top-center of the picture where there is a thin strip of flat ground leading to a large field I'm probably going to build a huge roller coaster. That area back there probably won't be a guest area. It would be a nightmare for guest flow.

Of course there can be some terrain rides up on the mountains but those won't really be guest areas.

thumb_7_467.jpg.0b7a6b9bdb9ece63266ef899245e0899.jpg

Park layout.

Sorry to Double Post but I've added some supports to El Diablo and there is a MAJOR ride announcement. This sounds like it will definitely be the biggest single-ride investment in the parks history.

SCR26.thumb.jpg.b2dfc589c1838d629a25419397e591ad.jpg

El Diablo is definitely the parks most popular coaster (for now).

SCR25.thumb.jpg.92704ff34607ac2ad6e36c88db028533.jpg

Coming into the home stretch...

ridepromo.jpg.1ccd16462d9106cd5c7c1b053134c7d3.jpg

These posters are hanging up all over the park. It looks like this ride will have it's own themed land because major land clearing is going on on that strip of land across the river from Rattler's batwing element. (Right center of that picture in the previous post... that little sliver of land).

Does Vampire have a Dive loop? Because if not, you should add one.

Anyway, I think the supports for Vampire could be a bit better and you could perhaps add some wooden supports to El Diablo's lift hill. Other than that this is a great update! Love the poster!

Also, out of interest what is the height of Vampire?

Edited by Xtreme97

Thanks for the feedback!

I think I'll take your advice on El Diablo. I thought GCI's lift hills were light on supports but now that you mention it the more I look on RCDB I do see those diagonal supports a lot on the lifts.

Vampire doesn't have any inversions. I tried to add some inversions but merging tracks seems to make Windows 7 cry (And I hate the tiny loops that come with the coaster). It crashes every version of 8 cars per trainer I have. I thought of breaking out my old Dell Dimension 2400 to do it but I actually started to like the layout I had without the Dive Loops, it's closer to the older style (non inverting) dive coasters.

As far as the supports go, I've actually never custom supported a coaster until this one so I'm not surprised that it needs some help. What would you suggest doing to make them more realistic? I thought of using the V shaped supports (Diagonal in each direction) but that doesn't really work because of the location of the coaster.

Vampire is 230 feet above ground but has a 246 foot drop into a tunnel. It's the tallest but not by a lot.

Xtreme97 thank you for the offer! I was about to take you up on it but I tested those trains on a Dive Loop just now (actually on the Osiris coaster from my Sunset Lake park) and realized that they can't track them at all. I guess since the only inversion that the dive coaster has is a loop it looks terrible going through corkscrews or barrel rolls. I think I'll leave this coaster without one but I have an idea for another coaster later on that I'd appreciate your help on. (I'll probably need to merge the wood track with the hypercoaster track). That's all I'm giving away for now, and yes I know that will look like crap so I'll probably put it underground. lol

If you want a working Dive loop (meaning the coaster animation works), you can have the half-loop, then a quarter loop followed by a vertical twist and back to ground level. I can merge that for you if you want me to. And i'd be happy to help later on in the project!

Edited by Xtreme97

I think I may leave this one alone in regards to the layout. I really appreciate the offer and will ask for some assistance from you on another coaster in the future.

I do have new photos of El Diablo's supports and another teaser shot of Vampire. Expect an update on the opening of the ride and new themed area in the next day or two.

SCR28.thumb.jpg.6943a100cf39d00f826209123223109b.jpg

SCR29.thumb.jpg.224df29e52ee68e4b350d9bd0142bd4c.jpg

SCR30.jpg.45667012a3dc5897a1225133384f5a8e.jpg

Edited by coasterbill

Thank you!

I'm still working on that first drop. I've never custom supported a coaster before so all feedback helps!

Does this look any better? Expect a full update on the opening of the new section either today or tomorrow. I'd add a catwalk but I don't have one that steep and using wood track makes it look very choppy on it's way up the lift so I think I'll be going without a catwalk on this one...

coaster.thumb.jpg.29195e910533827e09c5e955a0cce795.jpg

Edited by coasterbill

The intensity rating is on the high side 9.51 and the excitement rating is 9.01 (Which I'm disappointed with, I was hoping for Extreme but that's really tough to do unless you're working with an Intamin Giga). The only other coaster I've done that with is the B&M hyper.

As far as the supports, those are the thickest B&M supports I have unfortunately.

For the supports don't just go for one look on all of them. Have some variety. For example, the lift hill can have the A shaped supports and the /| shaped ones. The actual dive itself should have the ones that go diagonally both ways. But of course, this is your coaster, so you can choose whichever way you want to have them. I'm simply pointing out what I think is the best way to make them realistic. Don't forget to have the horizontal piece going through and some footers (again for realism). Also I think you should have the wooden catwalk.

MOD EDIT: Before offering to help him with his ride's support, how about taking a diversion into proper Grammar? I've highlighted a few areas that need improvement. R.D.- GFMT

EDIT: Thank you for making me aware of my mistakes and they have since been corrected. I don't usually make mistakes (or at least I think I don't) but must have forgot to double check. Sorry for my negligence and I hope to not be of disruption to the community again.

Edited by Xtreme97