TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to how this cooperative management of one massive theme park will work. Could be interesting. Not anticipating much more than each player getting a "quadrant" of the park. Hmmm, we'll see, I guess.

At first glance it looks like a proper sequel, and should come as a relief to anyone who thought the mobile version represented the future of the franchise.

Apparently it has a different developer than the mobile game. The title change also indicates that they're trying to possibly distance themselves from it. Not going to get my hopes up yet, though...

I definitely see one of the most requested features - off the grid placements. Or at least the illusion of them. I like that the graphics aren't super-realism-4K-blow-your-mind-and-your-wallet-on-computer-upgrades, rather they simply seem cleaned up from RCT3, texture and color-wise. Much appreciated. Now the hunt for more screenshots begins... Much like a decade or two ago Looking forward to it, but will happily "kill time" with NL2 and TPS as well.

Apparently it has a different developer than the mobile game. The title change also indicates that they're trying to possibly distance themselves from it. Not going to get my hopes up yet, though...

I agree with this statement.

Here are my thoughts on this....

1. It bothers me that the ONLY in-game image we have is this:1963013724_ScreenShot2014-08-12at12_35_36.png.79696766b531946268fd3a67ea06c5ff.pngAnd to me, this isn't very "pretty" as it looks like park rides plopped down in a dirt field.

2. Why couldn't they have used real game footage for the lift hill shots in that video? (Red flag to me!)

3. Being developed by a group who have never done a game like this before (at least not noted on their website) - Another red flag.

Have to be honest, the games they've worked on doesn't scream to me "This is the developer for Roller Coaster Tycoon", but having said that, I've seen awesome games come out of stranger developers, but it's still a red flag: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipeworks_Software

4. I'm *slightly* more hopeful for this game than the awful mobile game that came out a few months ago? (key word: slightly)

5. I'd like to put more faith in Atari, but my last professional dealings with them didn't leave a good impression, however I know they have gone through quite a few changes since then, so I will give them that.

6. I hope there is a Mac version. (I only saw mention of a PC platform, and it didn't specify Windows or OSX) and if there isn't, I think that's very shortsighted of Atari given the HUGE increase in Mac computer sales over the last decade.

7. If you go to their official website: http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com there is still ZERO mention of this title, even though it's advertized in the video they gave to IGN, which is a very amateur mistake by Atari. So maybe I retract what I said in #5!

Edited by robbalvey

Video from IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/12/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-announced-for-early-2015-release?watch

Developed by Pipeworks, RollerCoaster Tycoon World once again puts players in charge of a theme park, complete with rides, shops, patrons and, of course, the titular roller coasters. Park maintenance and customer happiness need to be tended to, as well as overall construction and expansion efforts. But in the newest installment, players can also cooperate with up to four players to manage one massive amusement park.

Teaser:

So exciting! The big question is now... This or Theme Park Studio?

Edited by A.J.

^ Keep in mind thought that screen shot IS from the gameplay footage in the video, although there are VERY FEW frames of footage, and it could all be faked, but I just can't image they would go through that much trouble.

It looks like they're going for an "art style" this time around which I like. I was super-optimistic about this until I saw the list of games developed by Pipeworks...

It looks pretty promising... but again, it's WAY too early to really judge it. One thing that bothers me is that IGN said it would have "Cooperative Multiplayer" and if that multiplayer is anything like the SimCity disaster in March 2013 than that would kill my interest for that game.

I'm a tad concerned about the lack of bankings on the two steel coasters... Then again, that's just me being spoiled by other coaster games and sims. I do like how it's off a fixed grid, like someone mentioned earlier. This has my interest for now. I hope a lot of the little new features pulls off well.

To Pipework's slight defense, Rampage: Total Destruction was one of my favorite games to play on the Wii, but I'm not sure how they'll do for this type of gaming. I just hope they allow plenty of sandbox-mode freedom like all of the previous games.

I'm a tad concerned about the lack of bankings on the two steel coasters...

You have to realize that park was probably made by some random intern or beta tester in their office that might have no idea at all about the inner workings of roller coaster design, other than what they've seen in pictures or by memory visiting parks themselves, and was simply asked to "make a park for our video" and the instructions probably didn't include "make rides look ridiculously detailed and realistic to the nth degree."

Which also could explain why the park just looks like a bunch of rides sitting in dirt.