TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planet Coaster (PLC) Discussion Thread

Source

Hi everyone,

more exciting times ahead! We have announced a new game - Coaster Park Tycoon - in an operations update press release. Here are the relevant details:

Coaster Park Tycoon

Frontier became the acknowledged leading developer of Tycoon games for its work on the RollerCoaster Tycoon® franchise, particularly its development of 2004’s 10M unit-selling PC game RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 which is still considered the benchmark of the Tycoon genre, more than ten years after its release in 2004.

Coaster Park Tycoon, scheduled for 2016 release on PC, is intended to raise that benchmark for ‘Tycoon’ gameplay even further by combining accessible creative features with a sophisticated simulation.

Jonny Watts, Chief Creative Officer of Frontier Developments, said:

“Coaster Park games appeal to a great many people, as proven by RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. It is a field for which Frontier has unparalleled expertise and immense passion, and one to which we have long wanted to make a ‘no-holds-barred’ return. We want Coaster Park Tycoon to be another major step forward for the simulation genre, and sit alongside Elite: Dangerous as a second major self-published franchise.”

We'll reveal more details as we progress, but in the meantime if you want to register for updates through the mailing list you can send a mail to: info@coasterparktycoon.co.uk

Edited by A.J.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
^^ Isn't that a different game? This thread is about Frontiers Coaster Park Tycoon but that post was all about RCT World, maybe it should go here: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68727

lol you're right. There's so many coaster games in development now, it's hard not to mix them up.

This is a VERY good problem to have! lol

After RCTW showing to the world it's ultimate level of sucking, I have now turned to this game in hope of it actually being as good as the devs are saying it is. It is my last of hope of finding a theme park game that isn't to hard (NL2) or to easy and unrealistic (RCT3)

• 3 months later...

Another website just about posted this a few minutes ago and it seems like Theme Park Studio and Roller Coaster Tycoon World now have some more competition and it seems like it will be made by Frontier:

http://planetcoaster.com

CREATE, BUILD, SHARE AND EXPERIENCE THE GREATEST COASTER PARKS

Planet Coaster is the next evolution in coaster park simulation games from the team behind the genre’s benchmark.

We’re giving you the best-ever design tools, crafting the most sophisticated management simulation, and bringing your parks to life with crowds you’ll love to thrill. Planet Coaster will give you total freedom to make your park unique, and a connected global village where you can share your creativity with the world.

This is the game we dreamed of making. We hope you’ll join us for the ride.

On their website they have released a few 3D views of a B&M hyper coaster train, park guests and a dinosaur mascot character, and a Chance Unicoaster.

Here are a few screenshots they have released:

Alright... I'll be the first to say that the style that they're going with looks absolutely gorgeous. Its like a mix between an updated, plastic-y, high poly RCT3 and semi-realistic. As long as the final game looks that good and doesn't have terrible game-play then I'll probably buy it.

That being said, Frontier if your reading this please, PLEASE, make this game at least as realistic as RCT3... I know a lot of people feel like RCT3 wasn't a very realistic game, and that's ok, but at least it had SOME realism... And themes, dear god, themes and the cartoony stands need to go. RCTW seems is going to have them, but they really need to die. Its been more then a decade, rides and scenery should be customizable. If I want to have a space-western-underwater themed tilt-a-whirl with a European-styled burger stand next to it I should be able to goddamnit.

Another thing, ride supports, this is one thing I think almost every rollercoaster game, except maybe the first two RCT games, failed on. Ride supports should be one thing that is as realistic as possible, since ugly supports are one thing that really takes away from a game, and looking at those pictures the supports don't look very good, in the perfect game there would be easily customizable supports but since that might be hard to implement realistic supports would be nice.

I'm really hoping this game turns out good though, I don't think I could take anymore disappointment...

I've merged this with the old Coaster Park Tycoon thread, considering that Planet Coaster is the final name for the game.

It looks very similar to what I expect RCTW will look like when it is completely re-hashed. I'm sure Atari is well aware of this, especially after the freak out. It will be interesting to see which turns out better... I expect a lot of careful attention will be given to things people speak up about, so keep making useful, thoughtful suggestions to both companies! There's never been a better time for fans of this game genre to get exactly what they want!

As others have stated, it doesn't need to be realistic per se, but for enthusiasts to get into it, most of the coasters and rides need to be at least based on actual designs. It looks like they are most of the way there, though the track spine on that B&M speed coaster is rounded instead of boxed. It wouldn't surprise me if they just have "steel coaster track" with different types of cars based on real world designs. Same issue with RCTW.

Custom scenery is easy to handle for the rest, assuming of course that they make it possible to implement.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up high since there's still no gameplay footage, but I'm excited!

While no interface is seen, there are actual gameplay-shots in the trailer. If you look very carefuly, there are some imperfections that wouldn't appear if it was pre-rendered movie.

The graphics is also very similar to Zoo Tycoon (obviously, it's the same engine). And in the end,

certainly is also ingame footage.

Just excited for this game

I'll rate what I know: The first trailer for Planet Coaster was much better-produced than any of the trailers done for RCTW. (The end scene was adorable as well!)

I'm very glad to see Frontier still doing coaster games! Now we can get to see how much of the RCT franchise was of their doing. Considering the mobile app that they made (Coaster Crazy) compared to Atari's RCT4 Mobile, I'll bet anything that this might have a bit more promise in it than RCTW... still, we'll have to wait until gameplay footage.