TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

Broadway NEWS!

It's just been announced, that Kinky Boots will end it's run in April, 2019.

That means it has put in a run of 6 years on The Broad Way.

That's one Tony for every year it will have played. Truth!

KinkyBootsGheeHall01.thumb.jpg.2dd0d2bed04ff8d995e9703165de8ad7.jpg

^ Yes. It was a Big Shoe, the tour was, when we saw it, less than a year ago! And the current Lola on Broadway,

was the Lola we saw on the tour! We found out, when the tour ended here in Vancouver, GheeHall flew back

to NYC and was offered the part of Lola, immediately! We're so thankful to have seen him perform Lola, before he took

it to New York. He was a-may-zing! GheeHall is there as Lola, in the pic I posted above, too.

Recent photo posted at http://www.broadway.com ~ Betty Buckley (original Grizabella in Cats,

and the original "Drood" in Edwin Drood) and the cast (in "that number") in the touring company, of Hello Dolly!

Not coming to Vancouver, though. (Or should I say, "yet"?)

SUPER shot of Betty Buckley (and cast)!! She lived across from me, but I only met her once. Though I DID see her three Shih Tzu when I was walking MY three Shih Tzu. (Shih Tzu don't go crazy for other dogs, but they always showed others of their breed a "professional courtesy" if they met in the park. ("Pleasant weather, isn't it? Well, I'm sure sure you have things to do, and I do, too. Cheers.") Buckley's dog walker/carer said that "following her instructions for feeding her girls was like prepping for a meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant!"

Anyhoo! Looks like Betty Buckley really prepared herself for this tour! Looks wonderful! Hope it comes to you at some point!

P.S. (I noted that Hello Dolly! is coming to Orlando. Hope the Alveys and other near-by residents get to see this old Broadway classic headed by ONE GREAT iconic performer!)

Alice

^ Well, for our subscription next season (2019-2020), we've got Dear Evan Hansen to look forward to.

And that's all we know. There's a nice young woman who sits at the "Broadway Over Canada" table, in the theatre

where we see the Series, with all the info. about the current season (Beautiful, The Illusionists, and Come From Away

are coming up, for this current Season), but she's in the dark about everything in the future, as much as we are, LOL!

Or...she does know, and she's just not 'giving it all away.' Hmmm...

Anyway, we won't really know the entire series until we're into the new year.

But in the mean time....another New Broad Way Show has just listed it's original cast cd on Amazon.com!

And it's not available until the beginning of November, take note.

HeadOverHeels.jpg.db5127b2aa3c2e8cabbfff14968e3100.jpg

With the songs of the Go-Go's!

^ Well, for our subscription next season (2019-2020), we've got Dear Evan Hansen to look forward to.

And that's all we know. There's a nice young woman who sits at the "Broadway Over Canada" table, in the theatre

where we see the Series, with all the info. about the current season (Beautiful, The Illusionists, and Come From Away

are coming up, for this current Season), but she's in the dark about everything in the future, as much as we are, LOL!

Or...she does know, and she's just not 'giving it all away.' Hmmm...

Anyway, we won't really know the entire series until we're into the new year.

But in the mean time....another New Broad Way Show has just listed it's original cast cd on Amazon.com!

And it's not available until the beginning of November, take note.

THANKS for your CD alerts! I'll have to check out more about this show. Good fun!

Alice

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS! The past Broadway Season of CDs Is - Not - Over!

Another play has (ahem) entered the fray (ha!) because besides

being a PLAY, it also has a MUSICAL SCORE as part of it's production.

Not bad for The Best Play of 2017/18, huh?

The CD will be released on Nov.2 on Amazon.

HarryPotter2018.jpg.b5460a2e4cfe19072b68d1ce83391d61.jpg

Which will make this #12 of the past season. Yay!

• 2 weeks later...

A while back I purchased tickets for Wicked for when it comes to San Diego, little did I know the bit of news that came about a week ago. if you haven't heard yet Broadway's Kara Lindsay (Wicked, Newsies, Beautiful), Jackie Burns (Wicked, If/Then, Hair), and Mike Wartella (Wicked, Tuck Everlasting, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) are going to be reprising their Broadway roles as Glinda, Elphaba, and Boq (respectively), starting with the run in San Diego and continuing on for an unknown amount of time. Keep your eyes out to see if this show is coming near you (God, I sound like an advertiser eek ) cause I know I'm excited!

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193622/thank-goodness-broadway-faves-jackie-burns-kara-lindsay-will-return-to-the-national-tour-of-wicked/

^ Ooooooo, I thought I had enough of the W, when I saw it's tour for a third time, here.

Now, and after seeing Lindsay in the broadcast of Newsies.... definitely likley to look out for it's

possible return, next year Broadway In Vancouver. And sweet, Wartella in that

Newsies shot, on the advert poster, right? Sweet guy. And I thought he went through a

SYTYCD season, yes? No?

And Jackie Burns? I have heard of her unique voice and take on Elphaba.

Hoping it flies by thisaways, thank goodnesses!

A while back I purchased tickets for Wicked for when it comes to San Diego, little did I know the bit of news that came about a week ago. if you haven't heard yet Broadway's Kara Lindsay (Wicked, Newsies, Beautiful), Jackie Burns (Wicked, If/Then, Hair), and Mike Wartella (Wicked, Tuck Everlasting, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) are going to be reprising their Broadway roles as Glinda, Elphaba, and Boq (respectively), starting with the run in San Diego and continuing on for an unknown amount of time. Keep your eyes out to see if this show is coming near you (God, I sound like an advertiser eek ) cause I know I'm excited!

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193622/thank-goodness-broadway-faves-jackie-burns-kara-lindsay-will-return-to-the-national-tour-of-wicked/

As the Brits would say: "Good on ya, mate!" Meaning, you scored a PRIZE!!" Enjoy your lucky ticket, Anthony. and please do give us your 'Wicked' feedback!

Alice

Seeing the stage-on-screen broadcast of the London production of Funny Girl, tomorrow.

Having never see it performed anywhere, this is going to be a treat. And Sheridan Smith, who's

portraying Fanny Brice, also took the lead in Legally Blonde:The Musical, over there, too.

EDIT (10/27): Saw it earlier, and it was amazing. Never having actually seen it produced onstage, and it

was interesting how some of the original production is "left out" in the Streisand film. And Sheridan Smith

as Fanny Brice, works her ever loving body/voice off! Amazing physical performance, and although not with

"the voice" that La Streisand has, she still sings great, and she works the non-singing part really well.

And everybody around her, supports her just as ferociously as she does them. Nick is a bit too "soprano"

in his singing voice for me, but that was a minor quibble. Great production, and it would be nice to see

some version on this on Broadway...sooner than later.

And a rumor has it... maybe Lady Ga Ga? Time will tell tell.

FunnyGirlUK.jpg.f4265dc91d8fa1f249c086445181b3ca.jpg

Sheridan Smith deserves a well earned Vacation w/Cocktails! (o;

For those who didn't know...

Wicked is celebrating it's 15 Years on Broadway, with a TV special tonight! It actually opened on

October 30th, 2003... the night before Halloween! And the original Elphaba and Galinda,

Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth, are the hosts!

Check your local listings, etc. It's on NBC.

EDIT to add: (after seeing it last night) It was an awesome one hour special that

I hope they might make into some kind of cd. Adam Lambert's voice (guest)

still gives me the right kind of chills, when he hits those high notes.

Great special and very moving. And All - Those - Elphabas & Galindas!

RZ-q6Qq9.png.4a1e2809f7131052e64d0c9bddc90bd7.png

maxresdefault.jpg.0bbd129eacb58580630742f3df5d3e6d.jpg

And then I found this. (o: Universal announced the release date.

2040704249_jbrecording.thumb.JPG.9c6515de1fce4f731cb70189ce577d33.JPG

(l to r) Jonathan Cable, Corey Greenan, Jonny Wexler and Eric Chambliss

Photo: Joan Marcus

Last night the 2019 FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando season kicked off with Jersey Boys: The Story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. This was the show's first time in Orlando since the opening of the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. Best described as a jukebox musical, Jersey Boys pulls from the extensive Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons catalog of songs along with a few related songs from the period. There is no original music that was created specifically for the show, but the arrangements have been made in a way that molds the music to the story in a way that is organic and infectious.

Jersey Boys spans decades of the band's journey, starting with four young adults in New Jersey singing under a streetlamp. Four very different personalities are brought together by circumstance but when their harmony is found, the result is at times breathtaking. Jersey Boys doesn't paint an easy picture of the Boys' rise to stardom, and it certainly doesn't pull any punches along the way. A sign at the theater entrance warns that "flashing strobe lights, loud gunfire and authentic, profane Jersey vocabulary are special effects used in this production" and with that you may want to shy away from bringing younger ears into the theater (or at least covering them during the song-free moments of the show)... The language portrayed for these Jersey natives can at times be excessively vulgar--this doesn't take away from the show thanks to the authenticity of it all, but again, a disclaimer for those considering taking those with more sensitivity to language.

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons have been around for quite some time, and what Jersey Boys proves is that you know more songs that were produced by the band than you'd likely realize before going in. Many of the arrangements of these classic songs have been re-orchestrated in a way that stays true to the original style of the music but slightly modernized in a format that fits for the show. Going back to listen to the original music that inspired the show, I was surprised to find that many of the tracks were sped up or abbreviated for the sake of the musical's flow... To the point that I prefer the musical's presentation of these songs over the original.

This was my second time experiencing Jersey Boys on stage (I've seen the Clint Eastwood film based on the musical as well) and this was easily the delivery of the story and music I've experienced. Jonny Wexler shines as Frankie in a near pitch perfect match to the musician's iconic tones... If you'd believe it, his background includes a substantial role in the children's show the Doodlebops, and more recently, he portrayed Joe Pesci (yes, that Joe Pesci) in Jersey Boys for three seasons. But the role of Frankie Valli was his to perfect, and that he does. The entire ensemble is exceptionally strong with Eric Chambliss' Bob Gaudio standing out alongside Wexler.

Jersey Boys is an excellent presentation of decades' worth of achievements of a band whose story was never seen on the surface. The drama that takes place behind the scenes is compelling during the spoken portions of the show and the music progresses the story as years are represented, flashing by in minutes. Excellent vocals and period choreography give this show a wonderful total package that is well worth your time.

Jersey Boys is being shown at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts from October 30th through November 4th and tickets are still available for purchase. For more information about the show visit: https://www.drphillipscenter.org/events/tickets/2018/jersey-boys/

1902862310_JBsitdown.thumb.JPG.98287634c5a4521226d98078226434d6.JPG

(l to r) Kevin Patrick Martin, Jonathan Cable, Jonny Wexler, Corey Greenan, Eric Chambliss and Todd DuBail

JBf.thumb.JPG.28b6292a2c95b54b755cc2bedf20ecad.JPG

(l to r) Eric Chambliss, Jonny Wexler, Corey Greenan, Jonathan Cable and the Company of JERSEY BOYS.

627707361_jbboyfriend.thumb.JPG.4cc3078361c7d1ac0280fabb4a2a9f3e.JPG

Foreground: (l to r) Ashley Bruce, Chloe Tiso and Jessica Wockenfuss

Background: Guitars (l to r): Wade Dooley, Kevin Patrick Martin and Todd DuBail

17756082_jbdawn.thumb.JPG.aaeaa8e4e4173bcb41a2297834b9939f.JPG

(l to r) The Company of JERSEY BOYS

1739603338_jbeyes.thumb.JPG.fd3abeb4375472ee66ad6fa750c21663.JPG

(l to r) Jonathan Cable, Jonny Wexler, Eric Chambliss and Corey Greenan

658877766_jbhandshake.thumb.JPG.eb2fb4ca9cbed18015c3700d03777efd.JPG

(l to r) Jonny Wexler and Eric Chambliss

1631036722_jblorraine.thumb.JPG.60bd7458217b8a4c3eca29e113f94974.JPG

Jessica Wockenfuss and Jonny Wexler

167966324_jbman.thumb.JPG.04090a03402aa1913cd5a2910f24fba4.JPG

(l to r) Jonny Wexler, Eric Chambliss, Corey Greenan and Jonathan Cable

1442122702_jbsherry.thumb.JPG.4962e2050b2b4b5db34ba6b71d209e56.JPG

(l to r) Corey Greenan, Eric Chambliss, Jonny Wexler and Jonathan Cable

1636929714_jbbigman.thumb.JPG.232ed508f6ba73efa178dc32882b25cb.JPG

(clockwise from lower right) Jonny Wexler, Eric Chambliss, Corey Greenan and Jonathan Cable

1641957816_jbmarianne.thumb.JPG.7a64f9b07f52a42a0dd129155e369aa0.JPG

Jonny Wexler and Company

Edited by jedimaster1227

NEWS! The past Broadway Season of CDs Is - Not - Over....PART DEUX!

Well, it appears the Broadway Season that started last year, has still not ended, just yet!

The incredibly SOLD OUT show, SPRINGSTEEN ON BROADWAY, has yielded (surprise!) a CD!

And not just a single, but a double CD set. Or 4 LPs, if you're back into vinyl, etc.

It'll be available through Amazon mid-December. And this brings that Seasons' CD Offerings up to...lucky old 13!

SpringsteenOnBroadway.jpg.86e0c5b57b388c9b8e545f0c03328d6e.jpg

SpringsteenOnBroadway01.jpg.b8238c19d8d559df18a9377a6101069f.jpg

I know it's not technically a musical. But they did use original music. Alana and I went to see our first presentation at the Nashville Ballet. They have done a Halloween event for the last few years. Last year they did Lizzy Borden as a Ballet and got rave reviews. This year they did Seven Deadly Sins, a journey into the dark heart of temptation. It was very entertaining as they incorporate more than just standard ballet. It probably would land in the realm of modern dance and as it is Halloween themed, it usually skews more on the adult side.

Anyhoo! It was a great show and we very much enjoyed it. Especially the overtly sexy stuff.

Word on the street is that they are going to do the Legend of Sleepy Hollow next year!

Added bonus! We got an email the next day inviting us to see Nashville's Nutcracker at 50% off general admission. So we now have 4 front row direct center seats for that. Bring on December 22nd! I haven't had my Nuts Cracked in a good while. Should be fun.

thumbnail-1.thumb.jpg.92e5dec3ccaa85da2784be42cfc7083f.jpg

Oooooooooo! Temptation! Scary!

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.4ff3185764c426da4804eeca14f81ca9.jpg

Alana all classy with her Champagne and Popcorn!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a run of Sound of Music as Rolf and understudying Max (were a children's theater so we cast very young lol). Forgot how much I loved that show, and of course all the adorable children in the production quickly became my new favorite people. It's always hard to close a show, but I've got auditions for my high school production of A Chorus Line in a few weeks, so at least I have that to look forward to.

301528E9-0350-4C5D-A943-DFAFCC5765A1.thumb.jpeg.eb06563c97bfacd8449915d37461da46.jpeg

On as Max with these lovely people!

^^ I used to go to the ballet a lot, when I was younger. There was this subscription series, called

"David Y.H. Lui Presents", a former theatre friend of mine and others, now long gone, sadly.

He brought ballet companies to Vancouver from all over North America, and even Europe, South America, etc.

And my very first ballet company with the series, was the Alvin Ailey Dance Company from New York. And I

learned to love ballet that way, of seeing three or four different pieces, rather than on long, extended

production, like a Sleeping Beauty, or Romeo & Juliet. I learned to appreciate those later on in my young life.

I miss that series. And any companies coming to Vancouver, for that matter.

IMG_8817.JPG.99ba54a3c1de584e65085f778077cfd9.JPG

Saw this poster in Paris. I think it's for theatre & ballet of some kind. (Sept.2015)

Edited by Nrthwnd

The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts has sent us a press release announcing procedures for the purchasing of single tickets for Hamilton, as they will go on sale to the public tomorrow morning!

DrkcKbIXgAAnUG-.jpg.2bf6d6ad456cfea765d299e8d7ce7a70.jpg

Producer Jeffrey Seller and Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts announce today that single tickets for HAMILTON will go on sale to the public on Friday, November 16 at 9 a.m. (ET). Guests are encouraged to purchase online at drphillipscenter.org. Tickets also may be purchased in person at the Dr. Phillips Center. Tickets will be available for performances January 22 – February 10, 2019.

There is a maximum purchase limit of four (4) tickets per person for the engagement. When tickets go on sale, prices will range from $76.50 to $199.50 with a select number of $429.50 premium seats available for all performances. Online ticket purchases are subject to handling fees. There will be a lottery for forty (40) $10 seats for all performances. Details will be announced closer to the engagement.

Jeffrey Seller notes, “It's tempting to get tickets any way you can. There are many sites and people who are selling overpriced, and in some cases, fraudulent tickets. For the best seats, the best prices and to eliminate the risk of counterfeit tickets, all purchases for the Orlando engagement should be made through drphillipscenter.org.”

To make the online process as efficient as possible, guests can set up an account now at drphillipscenter.org to store their contact and payment information. They may also sign up for email notifications and follow the arts center on social media to receive information and show updates.

HAMILTON is the story of America's Founding Father Alexander Hamilton, an immigrant from the West Indies who became George Washington's right-hand man during the Revolutionary War and was the new nation’s first Treasury Secretary. Featuring a score that blends hip-hop, jazz, blues, rap, R&B, and Broadway, HAMILTON is the story of America then, as told by America now.

With book, music and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda, direction by Thomas Kail, choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler and musical supervision and orchestrations by Alex Lacamoire, HAMILTON is based on Ron Chernow’s biography of Founding Father Alexander Hamilton.

The HAMILTON creative team previously collaborated on the 2008 Tony Award ®-Winning Best Musical In the Heights

HAMILTON features scenic design by David Korins, costume design by Paul Tazewell, lighting design by Howell Binkley, sound design by Nevin Steinberg, hair and wig design by Charles G. LaPointe, and casting by Telsey + Company, Bethany Knox, CSA.

The musical is produced by Jeffrey Seller, Sander Jacobs, Jill Furman and The Public Theater.

Launching April 2019 in Chicago, HAMILTON: THE EXHIBITION will take visitors deeper into the life and times of Alexander Hamilton through the immersive exhibit featuring a dynamic, interactive mix of in-depth scenography, lighting, sound, multimedia, music, and an audio tour narrated by Mr. Miranda. For more information and to sign up to be the first to receive news and ticket sales alerts about HAMILTON: THE EXHIBITION, please visit hamiltonexhibition.com.

The HAMILTON Original Broadway Cast Recording is available everywhere nationwide. The HAMILTON recording received a 2016 Grammy for Best Musical Theatre Album.

For information on HAMILTON, visit:

• HamiltonMusical.com
  • Facebook.com/HamiltonMusical
  • Instagram.com/HamiltonMusical
  • Twitter.com/HamiltonMusical

elhm.thumb.jpg.ff333d4ba703be2a72b22ec2a2fb5c37.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Going to see a filmed version of this West End stage musical (London) this afternoon...

Original cast recording. Jamie New is sixteen and lives on a council estate in Sheffield. Jamie doesn't quite fit in. Jamie is terrified about the future. Jamie is going to be a sensation. Supported by his brilliant loving mum and surrounded by his friends, Jamie overcomes prejudice, beats the bullies and steps out of the darkness, into the spotlight. With 'songs that have the wow factor' (The Times) by lead singer-songwriter of The Feeling Dan Gillespie Sells, and "hilarious" book and lyrics "with delightful punch" (Whatsonstage) by writer Tom MacRae, Everybody's Talking About Jamie is the funny, fabulous, feel-good, musical sensation has been wowing audiences and critics alike. John McCrea, Josie Walker, Tamsin Carroll, Mina Anwar, Lucie Shorthouse and Phil Nichol lead a twenty-four strong company and an eight-piece band that will "sweep you away on a tide of mischief, warmth and exuberance" (Financial Times). The Sheffield Theatres Production of Everybody's Talking About Jamie is produced in the West End by Nica Burns, Ian Osborne, Paula Marie Black, Teresa and Craig Beech. This North American edition of the West End original cast recording features deluxe packaging including full lyrics.

Jamie.jpg.53b21a2760056b461d536afe55438bd5.jpg

AND ~~~ After seeing it last Sunday...It is an amazing musical!

The lead is astounding and quite funny/touching. The whole cast is!

And I truly <3 the actress who plays Jamie's mum. She is wonderful!

^^ I used to go to the ballet a lot, when I was younger. There was this subscription series, called

"David Y.H. Lui Presents", a former theatre friend of mine and others, now long gone, sadly.

He brought ballet companies to Vancouver from all over North America, and even Europe, South America, etc.

And my very first ballet company with the series, was the Alvin Ailey Dance Company from New York. And I

learned to love ballet that way, of seeing three or four different pieces, rather than on long, extended

production, like a Sleeping Beauty, or Romeo & Juliet. I learned to appreciate those later on in my young life.

I miss that series. And any companies coming to Vancouver, for that matter.

NW - I looooove The Alvin Ailey Dance Company! One of my friends was a patron, so I was able to enjoy many special performances and events.

Like you, I enjoy the concept of seeing a few different pieces in one evening.

Alice

Just finished a run of Sound of Music as Rolf and understudying Max (were a children's theater so we cast very young lol). Forgot how much I loved that show, and of course all the adorable children in the production quickly became my new favorite people. It's always hard to close a show, but I've got auditions for my high school production of A Chorus Line in a few weeks, so at least I have that to look forward to.

Anthony, congrats on your run of Sound of Music! I totally understand how you feel when a show closes. When I was in school (and forever after), the end of a play I was in left me inconsolable!

Much good luck for your upcoming Chorus Line auditions! One of my fave shows! So many great parts!

Alice

NW - I looooove The Alvin Ailey Dance Company! One of my friends was a patron, so I was able to enjoy many special performances and events.

Alice

Also, it was the Very First Time, I really learned to actually appreciate classical music!

The first piece the Ailey Co. did for the evening was something from The Four Seasons.....Vivaldi.

I still keep the Four Seasons Vivaldi CD close by, to constantly remind me of the joy of music and dance, together.

Alice

Also, it was the Very First Time, I really learned to actually appreciate classical music!

The first piece the Ailey Co. did for the evening was something from The Four Seasons.....Vivaldi.

I still keep the Four Seasons Vivaldi CD close by, to constantly remind me of the joy of music and dance, together.

Can't think of a better way to learn and appreciate classical music than experiencing its partnership with dance! I had the same experience when I first learned to lo love dance. Such a wonderful way to be introduced to beautiful classical pieces.

Alice

Might as well throw it in, here....

If you can get this back copy of Entertainment Weekly, not only do you get

Stuff on the upcoming final season of GoThrones, but there's a separate

article on upcoming plays and musicals coming to New York, with definite

Hollywood connections, etc. And a Musical KING KONG, truth!

Worth a read, if you find a copy.

ewGameOfThrones2018.jpg.f13c3d09eb39fc564cfd4235836cb8fb.jpg

KingKongAustralia-01.jpg.e174f79bb6bdcdc3f81c021d672066cd.jpg

Yep, HE's in a Musical on Broadway! With his hunky handlers, too. (o; (Orig. Australian Crew)