TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

^ While I didn't vote for him because Obama was the better candidate, I did respect him as a Republican congressman because he wasn't afraid to reach across the aisle if it benefited most Americans.

And yeah, being a veteran and P.O.W. makes him a hero in my book - despite what our dumb-ass president says.

Yeah, same here. I disagreed with McCain on nearly every issue, but I had the greatest respect for him. Truly a loss.

And f*ck Burt Reynolds. Glad he's gone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a death. But a well deserved Retirement....

Caroll Spinney, who voiced both Big Bird and Oscar The Grouch in "Sesame Street", is retiring after tomorrow.

Great voice actor. Hope he has an awesome retirement! And eternal Free Passes to Sesame Street Place(s).

CarollSpinneyBigBird.jpg.875d1c58736215f07ccb8cbafe4e2659.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I found out yesterday night about this. Mostly shocked and denial was my reaction. I will not say he created my childhood, I'm a modern Marvel fan mostly of the MCU. But I have researched enough of Marvel this past decade and can only respect the legacy of Stan Lee and him working all the way into his 90's. I always knew he didn't have eternal life and at 95 you knew that wasn't very long, I always hoped he would see the MCU as it is come to an end, the universe he lay the founding stone by creating most of the original Avengers (of the MCU). I looked forward through these past few years to see him in every MCU movie and I look forward to the one in Avengers 4, because it might be the final cameo I got to witness from this legend.

Stan Lee was the creator of the American pantheon. We were so fortunate to hear him speak at Comic-Con Kansas City a couple years ago. He was such a special man. He will be missed, but his heroes live on.

And he too will "live on", where ever they can put his image/cameo in future films, like they did with Deadpool 2.

He was having trouble with pneumonia at that time, so they did his cameo a bit differently. Very cool we thought.

Country star Roy Clark, the guitar virtuoso and singer who headlined the cornpone TV show "Hee Haw" for nearly a quarter century and was known for such hits as "Yesterday When I was Young" and "Honeymoon Feeling," has died. He was 85.

He was one hell of a guitar player, and an amazingly talented man. Check out his version of Malaguena on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of Spongebob, passed away yesterday at 57.

This video is of him receiving what is essentially the "Lifetime Achievement Award" of animation in February. He looks so strong for someone suffering from ALS, and it's sad to hear that someone who helped create my (and many others) childhood's is gone.

• 3 weeks later...
Penny Marshall of "Laverne & Shirley".

Also, an accomplished director.

Yeah, us old (er) farts remember her well. I imagine my daughter (20) will say "who?".

Loved Laverne and Shirley growing up, and can remember watching the Happy Days episode in which they were spun off of, real time.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Taylor from ‘Walk Off The Earth’ passed away Saturday night

'Walk Off The Earth's' keyboard player Mike Taylor passed away this weekend. In a statement on their social media, the band said Taylor died peacefully in his sleep, due to natural causes. He was 35.

MikeTaylor.jpg.1522b56c2b48d278d45f96579c5309f6.jpg

Bob Einstein a/k/a Super Dave Osborne.

Also the brother of Albert Brooks.

"Stewart Robert "Bob" Einstein was an American actor, comedy writer and producer, who was best known for creating and performing the satirical stuntman character Super Dave Osborne. Einstein was also known for his roles as Marty Funkhouser in Curb Your Enthusiasm and Larry Middleman on Arrested Development."

Super Dave

Mean Gene Okerlund (WWF wrestling announcer)

&

Darryl Dragon (the Captain of "the Captain & Tennille")

all died yesterday, at 76

so that was an unlucky number yesterday

• 2 weeks later...

Carol Channing, the original Dolly Gallagher Levi in the musical "Hello, Dolly!".

"Broadway legend Carol Channing died on January 15 at her home in Rancho Mirage, California at the age of 97. The actress won a 1964 Tony Award for originating the role of Dolly Gallagher Levi in Hello, Dolly! She also received a Tony nomination for her turn in The Vamp and had a memorable turn on Broadway in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."

CarolChanning.png.24f8303106daffca0a416d13a4eda253.png

Illustration by Ryan Casey for Broadway.com

^ I also have to re-watch the film of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" to enjoy Carol again. And Mary and Julie, too.

p.s. Mary Tyler Moore is also gone from us, but Julie Andrews still carries on in life.

• 4 weeks later...

A very celebrated Canadian CBC journalist, Joe Schlesinger just passed away, at the age of 90.

He reported on everything from Vietnam War, to the Berlin Wall coming down, and everything

in between. Sweet man, and very compassionate about his home country.

JoeSchlesinger-CBCtv.png.fab0bb9bc2de6de6ef71c64def630d1a.png

• 2 weeks later...

My mom was (is) a HUGE Monkees fan, so I grew up on both their songs and the show (back when we had local channels like "Screen Gems" and she bought all the available eps on commercial VHS). In fact, my first ever concert was a Monkees concert, back when they were doing a tour in 1996. We got to meet and get pics with them (minus Mike) at our local Sam Goody store.

More recently, my mom passed on her love of the band to my oldest niece (who is now 11), so I have heard their stuff a LOT over my life and fairly recently, too, lol.

My poor mom is devastated. Not quite as much as when Davy passed, 'cause that was so unexpected, but still pretty bummed.