TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Last concert you attended?

BeemerBoy

KMFDM

I listened to KMFDM back in middle school (Symbols-era). Bummer to hear they aren't cutting it live these days.

since En Esch split (he's actually performing solo on the Lords of Acid/Combichrist tour in town this Wed), they just aren't as good live.

Sascha and Luchia are trying (and the CDs are still good -- the newest one, Hell Yeah, is great). . . but honestly, majority of the time they are just standing behind the computer stacks. Not super exciting visually, even with the live drums.

and as it was the same night as OhGr (with Ogre really putting on a show), and MLwtTKK (with Groovie all over the damn stage), KMFDM really showed to be lacking in live performance.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Death Grips at the Electric Factory on Saturday on their tour with Ministry. Wow. The crowd was rabid, especially after the show taking a half hour to start, and at first the mosh pit was way too intense, even for me. It was hot and suffocating, and pretty much like a riot. After a few songs the pit became more manageable and it was just a lot of fun. The set list was top-notch and the band killed it. MC Ride sounded great, Zach's drumming was mind-blowing to hear (and see) in person, and Flatlander was doing his thing. Also something cool they're doing this tour is that they wear these gloves with green lasers pointing out of them, and other than that it was mostly complete darkness. Incredible show. Even my dad loved it. I just felt really bad for Ministry not only because they had to follow up that, but also because half the crowd left after Death Grips played. It seemed like most of the people who stayed for Ministry were there just to see Ministry. But they also put on a loud, entertaining, over-the-top show and played some of their best songs as well. Also they had these:image.thumb.jpg.5411adba7c2faa234db2528e69f7fe40.jpg

What a great night.

The Black Dahlia Murder in Hampton Beach on 10/15. It was rescheduled at the last minute after the Lowell date on 10/7 got cancelled on the day of due to venue issues, and given how much of a disorganized nightmare the Lowell venue is, I don't think anyone took issue with the new venue itself, more just the multitude of ruined plans due to the piss-poor planning that has become synonymous with shows at the Lowell venue. Just a word to the promoter: I like you, dude, you're a good guy, but never try to book anything in Lowell again. Anyways:

Wormwitch: Spent most of the time hanging in the parking lot with Decrepit Birth and caught like two songs. They're okay, but they really don't do anything to distinguish themselves from the rest of the Entombedcore pack.

Necrot: Overhyped? Okay, maybe a little, blogs really seem to like crusty Bolt Thrower worship. Whatever. They were a ton of fun and are still excellent Entombed/Bolt Thrower/Jungle Rot worship with just enough hardcore and crust to make the punk kids happy even in spite of the excessive press.

Decrepit Birth: I was looking forward to them, especially after their fantastic performance back in May. Then Matt's guitar decided to die on him for good and he chucked it at a wall and walked off (thing was WRECKED when he finally came back to give it to the first fan who wanted it). So much for getting to see them. I'm going to hold Bill to his word about their plans to come back for a do-over.

Suffocation: Anyone who knows me knows that I very seldom miss Suffocation shows, especially with their new lineup. They did not disappoint. My buddy Kevin is only getting better as their new vocalist (yeah, Frank isn't coming back, get used to it), and the energy and true sense of cohesiveness that the new lineup has provided can be felt everywhere. It's good to see Hobbs and Boyer with a lineup that is on the same page as them for basically the first time since Culross was last in the band.

The Black Dahlia Murder: Few bands can go on after Suffocation and hold a candle to them, but they didn't disappoint. Brandon Ellis has added so much to the band it's not even funny, and while my legs were incredibly sore from pushing people back, being up front was totally worth it. Trevor Strnad is always an incredibly entertaining frontman to watch, "HEARTBURN" tattoo on his increasingly pendulous gut and all.

PS: To the three-level next to the parking lot, I'm not sorry at all about shooting off fireworks with Sean from DB and Charlie from Suffo in the middle of the night. They sounded better than your yappy rat dogs.

I saw Death Grips at the Electric Factory on Saturday on their tour with Ministry. Wow. The crowd was rabid, especially after the show taking a half hour to start, and at first the mosh pit was way too intense, even for me. It was hot and suffocating, and pretty much like a riot. After a few songs the pit became more manageable and it was just a lot of fun. The set list was top-notch and the band killed it. MC Ride sounded great, Zach's drumming was mind-blowing to hear (and see) in person, and Flatlander was doing his thing. Also something cool they're doing this tour is that they wear these gloves with green lasers pointing out of them, and other than that it was mostly complete darkness. Incredible show. Even my dad loved it. I just felt really bad for Ministry not only because they had to follow up that, but also because half the crowd left after Death Grips played. It seemed like most of the people who stayed for Ministry were there just to see Ministry. But they also put on a loud, entertaining, over-the-top show and played some of their best songs as well. Also they had these:[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

What a great night.

death grips is something else, yo.

I saw Rezz, M Machine, and NoMana last Saturday.

Tomorrow - War on Drugs!

Seeing TBDM play Noctunal in full during the summer was an amazing experience. I made sure I was on the rail for it.

I thankfully got to see them play the title track and Warborn on that tour that they did with Napalm Death last year in addition to their Summer Slaughter set, but let me tell you, I'm bummed that I'm probably never going to see them play To a Breathless Oblivion live again. That's in my top 5 TBDM songs and I have no clue why they never played it live prior to that tour. I'm still always going to lose my mind the minute that I hear the fade-in to What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse either way. That song will always make me feel sixteen again.

^ LOL.. I am not familiar with any of the bands posted in the past 4 posts.

I apparently am old.

Nope. What you go to see and hear and enjoy, I have no idea of. So. Me older.

(And our last concert was Bette Midler, before she went back to Broadway, in "Hello, Dolly!")

• 2 weeks later...

just saw them ~7 weeks ago at Dragon*con, but Cruxshadows were in town last night . . so of course I went.

great show (even tho the set was the same as the one the other month).

and during the final song "Marilyn my Bitterness" I joined them on the stage, and got a great pic of Drummer, Jessica.

IMG_2634.thumb.JPG.90a3bc359c00fcc1b5d57369a203fe98.JPG

IMG_2642.thumb.JPG.5f93b7e7fd2508436dd9f43d12f3e102.JPG

IMG_2657.thumb.JPG.a28864af2e5114f972866f1b241ab14a.JPG

IMG_2658.thumb.JPG.530e6cb3cea5527ed4096025546e0e2d.JPG

IMG_2660.thumb.JPG.8df8b77add92c11c5ace377f82465537.JPG

IMG_2664.thumb.JPG.2a124f704370bd2efb091078fb33c606.JPG

IMG_2666.thumb.JPG.8cafbbcd433aa3b7b13062e14212dfbe.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely AMAZING double bill last Wed night; Front Line Assembly and Revolting Cocks.

(if a fan of industrial music, this was an all star show, with ex members of Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Finitribe, Front 242, and others up there on the stage.

so many strobe/flashing effects, it was hard to get a good picture, even being way up front, but got some good ones:

one of Front Line Assembly's popular songs:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

and Revolting Cock's likely best known cover song:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

IMG_2689.thumb.JPG.446a8c9c54ad942e8879005aa9f0c8b8.JPG

Front Line Assembly about to start

IMG_2720.thumb.JPG.a504a38d1127197da3d3103ed09cda3c.JPG

Bill Leeb from Front Line Assembly (this is the band he formed after leaving Skinny Puppy, and a lot of the songs live sounded just like a Skinny Puppy live set)

IMG_2721.thumb.JPG.c1a4aff930b6df291dc05029e68607d7.JPG

Leeb

IMG_2728.thumb.JPG.222a9f53ca97715ea38f1fac22c726f3.JPG

Leeb

IMG_2733.thumb.JPG.eb7bc3714edaacdf8dac6b838824a208.JPG

myself and Wendy between sets.

Sold out show, and we were at the front the whole time.

IMG_2735.thumb.JPG.689004749b1f0c7f9f5c3d1fe4e21bd9.JPG

Paul Barker (during set up/tuning), so got a nice pic of him before RevCo started and normal lights (he's ex Ministry, as well as a TON of other related bands)

IMG_2738.thumb.JPG.22f1fe5e00c6e2aa5ab56198935f94bd.JPG

RevCo about to start

IMG_2775.thumb.JPG.28a91d16728635521ed6d48d62d98f30.JPG

Richard 23 (Front 242) handled Vocals for the songs from the 1st RevCo album, "Big Sexy Land", which they performed in it's entirety). Luc Van Acker was supposed to be with RevCo, but for some reason he no-showed the Austin show.

So Richard23 sang.

IMG_2779.thumb.JPG.2ec42217c67da1f479589f66f6b238aa.JPG

IMG_2784.thumb.JPG.7a508e20f462bed2604da6f7ea64fdab.JPG

IMG_2798.thumb.JPG.50e6dd6747417b0b60c0951e07068a1d.JPG

Chris Connelly (ex Finitribe, Pigface, Ministry) came out after RevCo finished "Big SexyLand" in it's entirety, for a whole 2nd set of songs from the 2nd & 3rd albums -- which he sang lead on.

IMG_2808.thumb.JPG.f4ff16ab6dbf8a9531d99cf2e4552406.JPG

Humping the stage during "Let's Get Physical"

IMG_2812.thumb.JPG.afb72c1f9076dcfe91966c3b9c3d0803.JPG

IMG_2816.thumb.JPG.3b81ba2688516b010efe228192ab9b9b.JPG

relaxing on the stage later in the set

IMG_2821.thumb.JPG.491aa55b65b3e825937494a8e1496ad3.JPG

Whole gang back on stage for the cover of "Do ya think I'm sexy?". . likely RevCo's best known "hit".

they had such a blast with Richard23 dry humping Chris, that his glasses flew off into the crowd :)

IMG_2823.thumb.JPG.486818567785c348d8aa65c7cd49aa86.JPG

after the show, Connelly was wandering around the club, but few recognized him as he changed his shirt (I know. .he had JUST been on stage, changing clothes shouldn't have thrown folks, but it did!).

so got a selfie with him (with my crappy selfie camera)

IMG_2825.thumb.JPG.8bf60b18858f738d22cfdd6474a01f7c.JPG

and a much better picture of him with Wendy.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Judge and Cro-Mags last Saturday at First Unitarian Church. There were four other bands, and they were All Out War, Breakaway, Trail of Lies, and Candy. I showed up a little late because I didn't really care for some of the opening bands. So I only saw Candy perform one song, but it was pretty good. Trail of Lies was alright and Breakaway was decent. All Out War was great. Judge was even better than I expected and it's great that they're still killing it even though they're old now. Cro-Mags were also great even though their current lineup isn't the best. Something strange that I didn't really think about until Cro-Mags were playing was that John's voice nowadays reminds me of Rob Wright (and that's not a bad thing). I can't be the only one who hears this. The crowd was also awesome for Judge and Cro-Mags, a real mosh pit and not the horseshoe crowd shit you get at smaller hardcore shows. I also love the venue, it's pretty cool to see a great show in a church basement, and they get much more popular acts apparently like Jeff Rosenstock. Also shout-out to Joe for 20 years of promoting hardcore shows! Here's the Hate5Six videos (excellent channel/website for hardcore punk vidoes by the way) for

and

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Foo Fighters at opening night of The Anthem club in Washington, DC.

I know it's been a while since the concert but how was it? I tried to buy tickets and was going to come from St. Louis for it but didn't have any luck. Saw them in Cincinnati a week or so later and went to King's Island the following day. Excellent as always!

Got to see the experimental kings themselves They Might Be Giants Saturday in Saint Petersburg. Insanely good set, four a band that's well over three decades old they're still amazing. It was kind of obvious that they were focusing on material from their new album (I Like Fun), which isn't a bad thing because it's actually really good, but I would have liked to hear more stuff from Lincoln, Flood, Apollo 18, et cetera. But whatever. Great show!

IMG_20180127_211515.thumb.jpg.42eafbe8de2950a3fac52ee55546ad57.jpg

John and John in action. And yeah, we got AWESOME seats.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing STRFKR tonight. Been a fan for a long time and have missed them a few times, but not this time! Really geeked for the show.

Last show I saw was Jeff Austin (ex Yonder Mountain String Band) and he's just as spectacular as ever. Yonder has really derailed from who they are without him.

I forgot to post about how I saw Municipal Waste, Nails and Macabre a few months ago at the Trocadero. They were all awesome. I just saw American Nightmare, Pissed Jeans, Protester, and Spiritual Cramp. These four bands pretty much represent every part of the punk spectrum.

Spiritual Cramp is a pretty unknown band but I love their stuff. It's kinda garage rock and kinda post-punk. The reason why they were so great is because they're a punk band with a motherfucking TAMBOURINE PLAYER! This guy with sunglasses literally just jumps around and plays a tambourine. He was really getting into it during the song "Wrecking Machine" and his first tambourine shattered, but luckily he had three.

The next band was Protester, and they're a thrashy straight-edge hardcore band. Very raw and intense. Their front man is great. I heard some of their albums but I'm not extremely familiar with them. The albums don't really compare to how good they are live.

Pissed Jeans were the main reason I went to the show. They're a noise rock/hardcore/"grunge" type band, although lately they've bordered on sludge metal. They were fantastic when I saw them last year and they're still playing a lot of songs from their new album Why Love Now, which is their best album by far. Their sound was thicc and sludgy as always and it was absolutely euphoric. I personally think it was the best show of the night. They played some of their older songs later in the set and that really made the crowd go crazy.

American Nightmare was really great. They're a melodic hardcore punk band. They released their new album today and about half of their set was new tracks. I don't know, I personally loved the new songs but the crowd didn't seem to really be vibing with it. They played all their classics though, and those are songs that were pretty much designed to be played live. My voice is completely shot from singing the lyrics. Wesley's stage presence was top notch and it was a memorable show. It's great seeing an older band still kick ass.

Shout out to Joe Hardcore. The next show I'm seeing is IDLES!

• 2 weeks later...
Went to the Music Frozen Dancing winter block party outside of the Empty Bottle on 2/17 to catch a free Oh Sees show. Outdoor music in Chicago during winter, especially with snow, is neat.

Totally missed the memo on that one, but I was out of town anyways... sounds like an awesome time! Love the Empty Bottle - even more now that we're without the DoubleDoor.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw IDLES at PhilaMOCA (Philadelphia Mausoleum of Contemporary Art) last Sunday. Dark Blue was the opener, and they're a fantastic local post-punk/jangle pop type band. IDLES played with a ridiculous amount of energy and it was incredible to witness them in such a small venue. They played perfectly, the guitarists were jumping into the crowd, it was totally crazy, and it was hands down one of the best shows I have ever been to. The audience was also totally awesome. At the end of the night I was completely drenched in sweat and my voice was destroyed. Markit aneight filmed the whole show and uploaded it, and I urge everyone to at least check out IDLES playing

. The same channel uploaded the Dark Blue set as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Dean Ween Group and Keith Kenny at The Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland last night - great show!

I had never heard of Keith Kenny before, but have a feeling that we all might be hearing more about him in the future. Guy has obvious talent and absolutely shreds on guitar.

Clan of Xymox last night.

Sellout at Elysium Austin.

Amazing, amazing set (even without "Blind Hearts").

and got to hang with them after the set for a bit too

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

IMG_3364.thumb.JPG.0ccdf193ce7e7d74a5c75d849b749ac3.JPG

IMG_3379.thumb.JPG.b770dee8cfd7d11c27364b3095cc688f.JPG

IMG_3385.thumb.JPG.434f46eabd9acd528629dca1e69060cd.JPG

IMG_3393.thumb.JPG.16f88cc9fc81aa0b285286435794949b.JPG

IMG_3394.thumb.JPG.009e22565dd0079187226e7084518a05.JPG

IMG_3399.thumb.JPG.546d2d7e791e6626ea0a38b2d8522f08.JPG

IMG_3400.thumb.JPG.45e7d03be81f45a4c75e466cc1e358f7.JPG