TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The American Hockey League discussion thread

bluestreak

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridgeport actually has a semi-nice arena now. it used to be a complete joke with no scoreboard over center ice but it's pretty cool now. I'm impressed. There's usually some nice energy in the building too (unlike in a place like Hartford which is awful).

I'd love to see an AHL game, but there aren't any teams all that close to me. The nearest ones might be Bridgeport or Hershey, which aren't really day trip distance.

You can go to a Bears game and hershey park to make a weekend out of it! If you didn't know, The Giant Center where this Bears play is right in Hersheyparks parking lot.

Bridgeport actually has a semi-nice arena now. it used to be a complete joke with no scoreboard over center ice but it's pretty cool now. I'm impressed. There's usually some nice energy in the building too (unlike in a place like Hartford which is awful).

That's pretty sad that they didn't even have a scoreboard over center ice. Do you by chance have any pictures from inside the old arena? Kinda crazy they played in an arena like that meanwhile the monsters were playing in this arena:

20160611_222245.thumb.jpg.974d956c73f7d3edae569c0d4d891cae.jpg

You can go to a Bears game and hershey park to make a weekend out of it! If you didn't know, The Giant Center where this Bears play is right in Hersheyparks parking lot.

I did know that and that's actually a good idea. I'll definitely consider that in the near future. The only drawback would be giving money to a team that has an affiliation with the damn Capitals.

I did know that and that's actually a good idea. I'll definitely consider that in the near future. The only drawback would be giving money to a team that has an affiliation with the damn Capitals.

Haha I get you there. I'm a CBJ fan so the Pens are three team I hate...

Found at Cedar Point today, it is Cleveland Fan Appreciation Week:

20160819_183414.thumb.jpg.26d2214912f56fec827cdd9f115f1172.jpg

San Diego and Ontario are doing great. San Diego's arena is woefully outdated though. San Jose needs to find a better city than playing in the same arena as the large club.

The 2016/17 schedules should be released soon. The Wolves schedule was in my local newspaper today. Does anyone else think its odd that the AHL schedules back to back to back games.

I believe they have all been released. I know the Monsters and Barracuda have both released their schedules.

I think it's odd and I absolutely hate it. Most of the time it's always only one team per matchup that is playing their 3rd game in three nights. So therefore the other team almost always has the advantage when one team is playing their 3rd game in 3 nights. It's ok to have 3 games in 3 nights in baseball because it is no where near as punishing of a sport as hockey.

Spreaking of the Monsters they are now known as the Cleveland Monsters. Wondering why they dropped the name Lake Erie. I have to say I don't like the new name of the San Jose team. I think they should of stayed the Sharks. I mean there are other AHL teams that have the same name as their NHL team. I'll list them: Wikes Bare Penguins(Pittsburgh),P rovidence Bruins(Boston, Texas Stars(Dallas) and Iowa Wild(Minnesota) The city in () is NHL team. Two of these teams play in the same state as their NHL team in fact. So I really don't see why they had to change their name from the Sharks to the Barracuda. Ok I don't hate the name I just think they could of thought of a better one.

Spreaking of the Monsters they are now known as the Cleveland Monsters. Wondering why they dropped the name Lake Erie. I have to say I don't like the new name of the San Jose team. I think they should of stayed the Sharks. I mean there are other AHL teams that have the same name as their NHL team. I'll list them: Wikes Bare Penguins(Pittsburgh),P rovidence Bruins(Boston, Texas Stars(Dallas) and Iowa Wild(Minnesota) The city in () is NHL team. Two of these teams play in the same state as their NHL team in fact. So I really don't see why they had to change their name from the Sharks to the Barracuda. Ok I don't hate the name I just think they could of thought of a better one.

I hate the new Cleveland Monsters name. I wish they would've consulted the fans and season ticket holders (like myself) about the name change. Almost everybody I've talked to likes "Lake Erie" better... Speaking of the monsters though, Jared Bednar (monsters head coach) has been hired by the Colorado Avalanche. Bednar is a hell of a coach and a great guy. Wish him all the best. Anybody know of any coaching replacements?

As for the San Jose team, I think the only reason they went with a different name is because they play in the same arena as the NHL team. If they played at the Cowpalace or something, they would probably stick with the sharks name.

• 7 months later...

Alright the 2017 Calder Cup Playoffs are almost here. There is one thing I don't get though about the AHL playoffs and that is why some top seeds play on the road the first two games while some play at home. For example (1)Wilkes Barre Scranton, (1)Syracuse, (2)Toronto and (1)Chicago all play on the road in games 1-2 but home the last 3. All other top 2 seeds play at home first. If that's not weird enough the San Diego vs Ontario series will be alternating home and away each game. First round is only best of five.

@ bluestreak: Its too bad the Cleveland Monsters missed the playoffs. I was really hoping they would make them so I could get to see them play. Looks they missed the playoffs to Charlotte based on ROW (regulation and OT wins). Both teams finished with the same amount of wins(39), losses(29), points(86) and PCT(.566). So it came down to ROW and since Charlotte had the better ROW(41 to 36) they got the 4 spot in the central.

When the monsters were in the playoffs last year I believe I remember them saying that it was up to the higher seeded team as far as format. I think it should universally be a 2-2-1 format but whatever.

Yeah I'm really bummed about the monsters. I was counting on their playoff run to take me into coaster season!

My friend and I had a great time at the Grand Rapids @ Milwaukee game tonight. Griffins ended up wining 3-2 in OT completing the 3-0 sweep. What's was really fun though was that were chanting let's go Wolves and Griffins throughout the entire game. Yes we were cheering for GR. Oh we also sat in front of this drunken fan and his sober friend. The guy shouted f*** the Blackhawks the entire game and a bunch of other stuff. We couldn't help but laugh at everything he said.

Wolves also won setting up a Griffins/Wolvrs second round matchup.

My friend and I had a great time at the Grand Rapids @ Milwaukee game tonight. Griffins ended up wining 3-2 in OT completing the 3-0 sweep. What's was really fun though was that were chanting let's go Wolves and Griffins throughout the entire game. Yes we were cheering for GR. Oh we also sat in front of this drunken fan and his sober friend. The guy shouted f*** the Blackhawks the entire game and a bunch of other stuff. We couldn't help but laugh at everything he said.

Wolves also won setting up a Griffins/Wolvrs second round matchup.

Lol love fans like that. Makes for a fun atmosphere.

Should be a hell of a series. Being a monsters fan I hate GR so I will be cheering for Chicago.