TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite TV-series?

Hattuchili

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a handful from various categories. This isn't all-inclusive.

Some of my favorites no longer on the air:

- Sopranos

- Scrubs

- Breaking Bad

- West Wing

- Mad Men

- Arrested Development

- Parks and Recreation

Shows I love but really, really sucked in their last couple of years:

- The Office

- Lost

- The Walking Dead (I know it's still on, but it's just become so, so awful)

Perennial favorites:

- American Dad

- South Park

Newish shows I'm really into:

- The Good Place

- Rick and Morty

- Better Call Saul

- Stranger Things

- Silicon Valley (though the last season was a dip in quality)

Newish shows I enjoyed but are a bit overrated IMO:

- Westworld

- Ozark

I'm currently working my way through Seinfeld on Hulu. I've seen an episode here or there in the past but never watched the show in full. When I'm done with that, I'm probably moving onto Handmaid's Tale, after season 2 of Stranger Things.

Some of my favorites no longer on the air:

- Breaking Bad

YES!! I never watched it when it was on the air, but I finally watched it a couple of years ago and thought it was brilliant.

Shows I love but really, really sucked in their last couple of years:

- Lost

Lost is my all-time favorite show and probably always will be. I just love the concept, characters, and intrigue of it. I love that even years later watching it for probably the 8th time I still notice new things and gather new insight into it. It's one of the few (if not only) [fictional] shows that I've watched more or less start to finish when it aired live on TV. Having to wait a week between episodes and months between seasons (and even the minutes between commercial breaks) added an additional facet of curiosity and mystique that we just don't have in this era with entire Netflix series you can binge watch in a couple days.

I know a lot of people didn't like the 6th and last season (or even 4 or 5) but I still really appreciate them for the canon that is Lost. I still sometimes wonder about what inspired season 6, but even in seasons 1 and 2 there are hints to things that happen in season 6, which suggests that that was always how it was supposed to end, not a hastily put-together season because of declining popularity (even though there was declining popularity). I'd still love to have a long conversation with J.J. Abrams about it.

I love Lost so much, I named my Siamese cats Jin and Sun. We named my parents' cats Claire and Charlie, but Charlie died.

I also got into Stranger Things recently and loved it. Can't wait for season 2.

This might be controversial, but I really got into 13 Reasons Why and binge-watched it in like 2 days. I'm interested to see what they're going to do with season 2.

I also still faithfully watch American Horror Story even though these later seasons seem to be grasping for straws and overall just not as good. AHS Cult so far has been very lame and not so compelling even compared to some of their others. In general, I find that AHS starts out good and then declines (such as Hotel and Coven). Roanoke was just chaotic and shocking and flipped things mid-season. Freakshow started good, got worse, then got better at the end. I hope Cult gets better because I'm really only watching it out of habit right now.

Mostly, I watch reality/competition shows. I'm BIG into the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise, and I love Survivor as well, and sometimes watch Dancing With the Stars and America's Got Talent. Just keeping up with those shows keeps me busy most of the year.

^ If you're into dance shows, then really try to see "So You Think You Can Dance" when a new season starts up. The power and elegance of pretty much all the young dancers that come into the competition, is astounding. And when it finalizes into the top ten.... well, if this past season just ended, was any indication, the talent and artistry of these kids is going to be F-ING AWESOME!!! It's easily one of the most (if not The Most) awe-inspiring, reality shows out there.

SYTYCD2015.jpg.e8e3dd859ec82929d7ddd239d2c35848.jpg

The 2015 group we saw on tour, after the finale. The tap dancer (back middle) won!

SYTYCD2017.jpg.64c9dacd1ee541521c0b44780dc8c8f3.jpg

This is the recent group. And Lex, far right, won it. But they were all spectacular!

^I think it was a different dance competition show I watched recently that had some really amazing (and famous) dancers on it too. The Jabbawockeez were on it and I saw them at Universal during HHN. I didn't keep up with the show so I don't know who actually won.

All those shows make me want to learn how to dance.

^Twilight Zone reminded me... anyone else into Black Mirror?

It's like modern Twilight Zone. I usually couldn't watch more than one at a time but it's one of the most memorable and thought provoking shows I've seen. You'd have to watch a few episodes to see what I mean. Every episode is a different story so you can jump around. I like season 3 the best. The one about the guy playing the horror game.... and the bees...and San Junipero. Every episode has unexpected twists at the end and some kind of thought-provoking idea about society and technology. Just...yeah. Watch it. But be forewarned: some of them are very heavy. It's by no means light watching.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I can now add "The Good Doctor" to my list of favorite currently-on-air TV shows, alongside "Doctor Who." I... think all my other favorites are now either just over or cancelled... I mean, there are shows still on that I like, but DW and Good Doctor are the only ones that I am watching religiously week-to-week.

My favorite would probably have to be Gravity Falls. Such a fun, funny, heartfelt, and overall awesome series. I would highly recommend to virtually anyone (unless you hate animation or don't have a soul). Even the theme song is awesome! (I actually liked it so much I made a piano cover of it!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... My all time favorite series is The Golden Girls!!!

giphy.gif

-------------

However my favorite "modern" series is still How To Get Away With Murder!! It's such an amazing show!! And every time you think you have it figured out *BAM* they pull something out of their ass that proves you wrong!

WindingSlimyAlbino-small.gif

Oh, I ADORE The Golden Girls! And considering I was a wee one when I watched it live on-air, I feel like it had an impact on the kind of person I grew up to be. They addressed so many important issues!

It is interesting that even today it seems like so many of the issues they addressed when the show was live are still issues to this day. Sure the show may be 32+ years old. . . But it is still VERY relevant, and the world can learn a lot from how they handled the issues!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this up, to comment on last night's episode of SURVIVOR. We used to watch it pretty regular in it's first seasons. But later on, we just fell out of it, and hadn't watched a season in several years.

That said, we decided to watch this new season, featuring winners from several seasons of Survivor.

Last night, was the "usual" Family and Friends Episode. But the producers upped the content, and had full families show up for the players! AND although it looked like it was a shorter visit, the Edge of Extinction group got their "family/friends love" too.

And to top it off, Probst announced there would be NO Family Challenge to play! So everybody got time with their loved ones. It was a very emotional part of the episode, and even David and myself were tearing up with the various groupings bought together. And we were thinking, this show is usually taped several months before airing. The timing of the whole thing was just a more intense experience for viewers, we suspect.

And at the end of it all, during credits, the Jury (who are all on Extinction Island) went down to the floor and group-hugged Probst, thanking him and the producers for that "gift" of their friends and family visit, too. Very cool way to end the episode.

So, after all these years, SURVIVOR can still surprise us viewers...and players, too.