TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I read on Screamscape that the Boardwalk area is closed for the 2018 construction. Being that I am not familiar with the park, with this area being closed are you still able to traverse the park in a full loop, or can you only get to the back of the park one way during construction. I'm just curious.

Stopped by the park for a little bit today. I mean, I can honestly say that from an enthusiast POV it's so great to be able to stop by the park whenever and grab a couple of rides weekend crowd free!

That is literally their marketing pitch. Heard on Kevin and bean this morning. Great for us. Probably not so good for their business. I have a feeling someday we’ll learn what the real reason for daily operations was: tax credit? Accounting trick (make it look like a massive loss to hide profit)? A requirement of a deal they made somewhere? I just can’t fathom how they will turn any sort of profit on this, but kudos to them for giving it a go.

Making it easier for me to ride the good rides and leave even quicker is a win in my book.

Great for us. Probably not so good for their business.

This is really the first "offseason" week, and Queue-Times says otherwise. At one point yesterday, New Revolution posted a 50 minute wait (this obviously dissipated later on). Many rides have been around 20 the last few days. Even assuming one train operations (which may or may not be the case), those are nice numbers. The park doesn't seem "crowded", but there seem to be plenty of people there.

I stopped by for a little while yesterday evening, as well. It was a ghost town. All the coasters were open, with the exceptions of Superman, Goliath, and Green Lantern. Despite what the app said, Riddler and Apocalypse were both open. Everything was running one train, but that was all that was needed. I never waited more than 2 minutes for any ride.

One major bummer that I noticed was that both ColdStones are gone. I can't say I'm too surprised, given that I've never seen long lines at either place, while the funnel cake place directly across the midway was always packed. But it was nice to be able to sneak into the one near Apocalypse and get a cup of ice cream on the dining pass.

cs1.thumb.jpg.59a4d4d8263a5da95b0fd1c3cd19e47e.jpg

cs2.thumb.jpg.78a4f869c266010fb0d342b04f5b9f21.jpg

I stopped by for a little while yesterday evening, as well. It was a ghost town. All the coasters were open, with the exceptions of Superman, Goliath, and Green Lantern. Despite what the app said, Riddler and Apocalypse were both open. Everything was running one train, but that was all that was needed. I never waited more than 2 minutes for any ride.

One major bummer that I noticed was that both ColdStones are gone. I can't say I'm too surprised, given that I've never seen long lines at either place, while the funnel cake place directly across the midway was always packed. But it was nice to be able to sneak into the one near Apocalypse and get a cup of ice cream on the dining pass.

[attachment=0]cs1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]cs2.jpg[/attachment]

I guess their franchise agreements ended? Hopefully they put something else in the main gate location soon. Not good for something to be empty/closed up right where everyone enters the park. And now, just what we need, another empty building in the back of the park. They really need to do something with the "Cyclone Bay" section of the park.

well I think this pretty much confirms that Scrambler will be included in the new Beach Boardwalk themed area. Bayside Scrambler??

-

(although i'm confused on why a beach themed attraction is going to be half way into Metropolis, a revamp is always great, so no complaints here!!)

img_2101.jpg.25c0854efd5f25af3c3b932ae2a1984a.jpg

credit: greatamericancoasters.org

I guess their franchise agreements ended? Hopefully they put something else in the main gate location soon. Not good for something to be empty/closed up right where everyone enters the park. And now, just what we need, another empty building in the back of the park. They really need to do something with the "Cyclone Bay" section of the park.

I agree. The empty building just inside the front gate looks bad, so hopefully they'll get something else in there soon.

I wonder if Six Flags will install their own ice cream brand in that building (like how they replaced Panda Express with Chop Six).

I agree. The empty building just inside the front gate looks bad, so hopefully they'll get something else in there soon.

I wonder if Six Flags will install their own ice cream brand in that building (like how they replaced Panda Express with Chop Six).

I hope they get some good chocolate ice cream. I haven't really tried ice cream at major parks.

Posted by HarmsWay in the Facebook group "Former Employees of Six Flags Magic Mountain". Not sure if he's a member here.

JetStream boats are getting fresh paint... Hopefully, all the boats are getting painted.

I hope they're getting a full refurb...the boats easily fill with water because there is so much crap (mainly soggy paper items like maps and receipts) that block the drain.

So, random question for you all. We are looking at taking our first trip to SFMM this summer!!! (Been wanting to go every since X first opened in 2002!!) Holy crap, it's been such a long time!!!

We will be at the park on either a Friday, or Saturday in late July, or early August. So, my question is... would a Platnium Flash Pass be enough for us to do everything in one day, or should we look at doing 2 days at the park??

So, random question for you all. We are looking at taking our first trip to SFMM this summer!!! (Been wanting to go every since X first opened in 2002!!) Holy crap, it's been such a long time!!!

We will be at the park on either a Friday, or Saturday in late July, or early August. So, my question is... would a Platnium Flash Pass be enough for us to do everything in one day, or should we look at doing 2 days at the park??

I guess it would be *doable* but if this is your first time visiting the park, I would highly recommend two days, or at least 1.5 days. It’s a huge park with a ton of coasters, and with long lines and SFMM’s highly unpredictable ride closures / operations, I would really suggest at least a day, even if you have Flash Pass.

You could do it if you got there right at opening and stayed until closing, but your visit will be so much less stressful if you go for at least 1.5 days.

Posted by HarmsWay in the Facebook group "Former Employees of Six Flags Magic Mountain". Not sure if he's a member here.

JetStream boats are getting fresh paint... Hopefully, all the boats are getting painted.

on the painters instagram, he had pics of boats painted in February. i don't pay much attention to jet stream except for making sure not to get wet when walking under all the leaks. but maybe they have been refreshing them over time.

I guess it would be *doable* but if this is your first time visiting the park, I would highly recommend two days, or at least 1.5 days. It’s a huge park with a ton of coasters, and with long lines and SFMM’s highly unpredictable ride closures / operations, I would really suggest at least a day, even if you have Flash Pass.

You could do it if you got there right at opening and stayed until closing, but your visit will be so much less stressful if you go for at least 1.5 days.

Yeah I second this. With a platinum flash pass, I'm sure you could rush through and get everything done (assuming everything is open), but it will be much less enjoyable. Nothing usually is scheduled to be down for maintenance at that time of year, but there could always be unplanned mx events.

I would highly recommend doing a second day, even if its just a half day with a regular or gold flash pass to get the stuff that you missed the first day (or do the other way around - go half a day Friday, then Saturday make sure to use the platinum pass to get the ones that werent doable on Friday)

This is all also assuming that you're doing coasters only. If you want to also do flat rides and upcharge attractions, and if you don't plan on coming back any time in the near future, then definitely do two full days.

Honestly with a platinum flash pass, one day is enough. You'll have time to ride every single coaster and do rerides on the ones you liked, except for the ones you can only use it on once (X2 and TC, I think). I've done a platinum flash pass trip once in July, got to the park at 1 pm and was done with everything by 6 pm. It's quite incredible how much it cuts down the wait times.

For someone who's running in to be efficient, hit all the major coasters, and take off, I agree. I don't think I'd ever personally need a second day.

But this is someone who's never been to MM before and might not be back for years, so I just think they might want to do more and take their time. The second day allows you to relax, even if it's only a half day, maybe even leave the park for lunch in the middle of the day to take a break or something.

Plus, as thrillseeker4552 mentioned, if something you wanted to ride is down one day, there's a greater chance you can get it in the second day (Or if that something is TC or X2, you can get your second FP ride in the next day)

So the park went and pulled the trigger on adding another tier to membership. At least for now, they only added the Gold Plus, none of the other higher ones they were thinking about.

Key benefits in my opinion:

New Gold Plus Only lane at the entrance, which will be effective for the first 4 hours of each day.

20% off almost all merch all the time

25% off season drink bottles

Always at least 20% off single tickets for friends, with temporary bigger discounts offered periodically

Gold Plus members will get to ride CraZanity and subsequent new rides before Gold Pass holders and other SP/Members

Discount on dolphin experience at SFDK in Northern Callifornia

$7.85/mo, for at least the first year. Early entry not listed for Gold Pass anymore, but I havent been to the park lately to see if it's really gone. Will be there on 2/3 so I'll see.

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/membership