TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Some pretty big changes to their Season Pass/Membership structure.

- Only the Gold Plus Membership is available for monthly payments.

- The Gold Plus Membership will "never go on sale". So no Flash Sales.

I currently have a Gold Membership, I wonder is Six Flags taking away my early park entry? If so Im going to be really pissed.

I currently have a Gold Membership, I wonder is Six Flags taking away my early park entry? If so Im going to be really pissed.

It says this in the FAQs:

Are you changing the Gold Season Pass or the Gold Membership?

No. The Gold Season Pass and Gold Membership will continue to have exactly the benefits they have right now. We are not taking anything away.

So I think you'll continue to keep your early park entry, at least for this for year. I have a gold membership and I wonder if they'll eventually make me buy a season pass or upgrade to a gold plus membership.

Somehow I'm still not convinced, I'm not entirely certain they consider the early entry line one of the included benefits. I'll find out for sure when I'm there in a couple weeks. I'm actually considering upgrading to that Gold Plus anyway, still seems a good deal for the price.

It says this in the FAQs:

Are you changing the Gold Season Pass or the Gold Membership?

No. The Gold Season Pass and Gold Membership will continue to have exactly the benefits they have right now. We are not taking anything away.

So I think you'll continue to keep your early park entry, at least for this for year. I have a gold membership and I wonder if they'll eventually make me buy a season pass or upgrade to a gold plus membership.

I was at the park today. Not even the first lot full. That's the good news. Magic Mountain will soon be phasing out the Gold Season Pass. When I entered the park and headed to the Gold pass entry, the fellow there told me as of March 1, that will be for gold members only. On March 1, I'll enter like the rest of the general public. There is a new sign that says Membership entry, not the normal gold pass sign. I should've taken a picture. I'll try to remember tomorrow.

Before leaving tonight, I stopped at guest relations to get the full story. I spoke to a really nice lady (a lead there), and she said emails will be coming out next month regarding the new process and different levels of Gold Membership. She assured me there will be an upgrade path for existing gold members. I told her 6 Flags has had my gold pass cash since last fall when it first went on sale. This membership program is a month to month deal. She also filed a "concern" for me, so we'll see if I get a response.

So is their strategy for keeping Apocalypse smooth now that they did all that track work to just never open it?

i finally rode it in the back row after christmas and it felt basically the same as the last time i rode it before the retrack, rough af.

Stopped by the park about 2 weeks ago, and I noticed that there is either something wrong with Superman, or the park is back to its old tricks... the cars were just barely breaking into red section of the tower. They seemed to be straddling the border of the blue/red sections. It was no secret that the park cut back on the launch for several years prior to the 2011 revamp, but it's been pretty consistent since then. The new paint job makes it really easy to gauge in a more quantifiable way.

Before leaving tonight, I stopped at guest relations to get the full story. I spoke to a really nice lady (a lead there), and she said emails will be coming out next month regarding the new process and different levels of Gold Membership. She assured me there will be an upgrade path for existing gold members. I told her 6 Flags has had my gold pass cash since last fall when it first went on sale. This membership program is a month to month deal. She also filed a "concern" for me, so we'll see if I get a response.

That's honestly a really good point. When 2018 passes were purchased, there were specific benefits being advertised as included with the pass. I don't remember specifically if the early entry was listed back during the flash sale, but if it was... that's what you paid for, and you should get it.

Stopped by the park about 2 weeks ago, and I noticed that there is either something wrong with Superman, or the park is back to its old tricks... the cars were just barely breaking into red section of the tower. They seemed to be straddling the border of the blue/red sections. It was no secret that the park cut back on the launch for several years prior to the 2011 revamp, but it's been pretty consistent since then. The new paint job makes it really easy to gauge in a more quantifiable way.

I have noticed that too. Sometimes one side launches higher than the other as well. I imagine it’s for no other reason than to save on costs. People can’t tell the difference between 95 and 100 mph, and the GP will eat it up regardless, so they might as well be cheap if they can, especially now that they’re operating daily. Just my guess.

I don't think it's intentional, I think it's just the LSMs wearing down due to lack of regular maintenance. Superman needs a refurb that will get it shooting back to the top. Slowing it only 5mph is not going to lower costs very much.

You’re probably right. Like I said, mine was just a guess.

However, one positive thing I noticed is that they seem to be launching both sides together as of recently. Not a perfect race, but typically when one launches, the next one comes a few seconds later.

I don't think it's intentional, I think it's just the LSMs wearing down due to lack of regular maintenance. Superman needs a refurb that will get it shooting back to the top. Slowing it only 5mph is not going to lower costs very much.

probably just needs a squirt of WD-40 on the wheel bearings after the rain.

I was there and told Tuesday that I would no longer be able to use the gold pass entry as its now a gold plus membership entry. That is a new low for the park to remove functionality after I bought a pass which advertised early entry. I emailed a very strong worded letter to the park president & guest relations and yet to get a response.

I was there and told Tuesday that I would no longer be able to use the gold pass entry as its now a gold plus membership entry. That is a new low for the park to remove functionality after I bought a pass which advertised early entry. I emailed a very strong worded letter to the park president & guest relations and yet to get a response.

To be fair to the park, I am sure it is buried in the fine print that some benefits are subject to change.

To be fair to the park, I am sure it is buried in the fine print that some benefits are subject to change.

If enough of us complain, they will keep it. Also, they need to have a way to upgrade (aka apply the price of the pass) from the Gold Pass to a membership in the middle of the year if they're going to take this benefit away.

Fair point. To which I'm not mad when they only open 5 min because they haven't gotten the safety clearance from security or when we didn't get an early preview of Justice League since it opened so late. But removing something outright that was promised in order to charge more doesn't sit right.

Fair point. To which I'm not mad when they only open 5 min because they haven't gotten the safety clearance from security or when we didn't get an early preview of Justice League since it opened so late. But removing something outright that was promised in order to charge more doesn't sit right.

i've never used it, but that's pretty wack. i'd think for a gold season pass, you'd at least get to throughout 2018. my gold membership, i'd be more understanding. i do like how they have the differences between the gold memberships online now. especially since i'm not even sure all what i got with my gold membership. lol

Based on checking their website, it does not list early entry as a benefit for Gold Passes anymore.

I do understand "the small print" where conditions may change. However, if there ever was a message put out by Six Flags that said "current Gold Pass benefits will not change", then that's a bigger issue. At the same time, the only quote of that I can find is from a member posting here. I don't see that being said anywhere on their website. If that reader can quote where they saw that text, maybe there'd be a stronger case to be angry about the change.

That said, it doesn't really say Gold Pass Plus gets early entry either... it just says there will be a "Priority turnstyle" for the first 4 hours of park opening. Perhaps the question is what is meant by "priority". To me, it means "exclusive", not getting in early. But it's a bit vaguely worded.

The curious part to me about the Gold Pass Plus was why they were only accepting monthly payments. I didn't realize that, according to their own literature, there is no expiration date to this pass until you decide to opt out. Hence why the term "membership." You do have to be a member for a minimum of 12 months, but it's an interesting concept to have a season pass for essentially as long as you want, without ever needing to worry about renewing.

I dont think the gold pass line is that big of a deal anyway at least for me, most of the time I end up getting in like like 5-7 minutes early, only to find that nothing has finished test cycles anyway, so I just stand in line at the front for 10 minutes, and by the time theyre loading the first train, the GP is in line behind me, so all you really get is 1 ride.

Based on checking their website, it does not list early entry as a benefit for Gold Passes anymore.

I do understand "the small print" where conditions may change. However, if there ever was a message put out by Six Flags that said "current Gold Pass benefits will not change", then that's a bigger issue. At the same time, the only quote of that I can find is from a member posting here. I don't see that being said anywhere on their website. If that reader can quote where they saw that text, maybe there'd be a stronger case to be angry about the change.

That said, it doesn't really say Gold Pass Plus gets early entry either... it just says there will be a "Priority turnstyle" for the first 4 hours of park opening. Perhaps the question is what is meant by "priority". To me, it means "exclusive", not getting in early. But it's a bit vaguely worded.

The curious part to me about the Gold Pass Plus was why they were only accepting monthly payments. I didn't realize that, according to their own literature, there is no expiration date to this pass until you decide to opt out. Hence why the term "membership." You do have to be a member for a minimum of 12 months, but it's an interesting concept to have a season pass for essentially as long as you want, without ever needing to worry about renewing.

i just searched my emails and all the ones i see from black friday or cyber monday don't say anything about early entry. so it seems more than legit to not let regular gold passes or memberships in early.

i have a gold membership. but since i don't really see anything important with the upgrade, i'll just keep mine the way it is until they make me change. they've bumped up my monthly a couple times to where i now pay $6.10 a month. but as long as it's around this price, i don't see the need to pay more for the extras right now.

Asking for some advice here. I am from New York and will be going to Magic Mountain on Wednesday March 14th, 2018. It is the first time I am going to the park and even though the park is only open until 6:00 pm I can only visit it for one day during my vacation. I am going to invest in a platinum flash pass regardless of crowds since I have no idea when I'll get back to the park. What should I expect for crowds? Also do you think I can get everything done with the platinum flash pass in that one day? I'm really only interested in the roller coasters and possibly Lex Luthor Drop of Doom and Justice League Battle for Metropolis. I also need some clarification about the platinum flash pass. For coasters that say "one-time" under the platinum flash pass (Twisted Colossus, Full Throttle, Superman, and X2) does this mean I can only use the platinum flash pass one-time for these rides the entire day? Also does this one-time use include two-rides by being able to remain seated after the first ride or is it only one ride and you get off? I'm assuming all other coasters are the typical get on and ride twice with the platinum pass. Also I would appreciate any advice with the order of coasters I should ride. I've heard X2 gets mobbed when the park opens so I'm not sure if its a good idea to get that done first or not. I know a few years ago you needed to pay $15 to use the flash pass on X2, is this still the case or it in included now with no extra charge? Also how early can you typically get through the front gate before the park opens? I want to be the first one to get into the flash pass building. Does the flash pass building open at all before 10:30? I'd appreciate any response/advice regarding my questions. Thanks

Asking for some advice here. I am from New York and will be going to Magic Mountain on Wednesday March 14th, 2018. It is the first time I am going to the park and even though the park is only open until 6:00 pm I can only visit it for one day during my vacation. I am going to invest in a platinum flash pass regardless of crowds since I have no idea when I'll get back to the park. What should I expect for crowds? Also do you think I can get everything done with the platinum flash pass in that one day? I'm really only interested in the roller coasters and possibly Lex Luthor Drop of Doom and Justice League Battle for Metropolis. I also need some clarification about the platinum flash pass. For coasters that say "one-time" under the platinum flash pass (Twisted Colossus, YOLOcoaster, Superman, and X2) does this mean I can only use the platinum flash pass one-time for these rides the entire day? Also does this one-time use include two-rides by being able to remain seated after the first ride or is it only one ride and you get off? I'm assuming all other coasters are the typical get on and ride twice with the platinum pass. Also I would appreciate any advice with the order of coasters I should ride. I've heard X2 gets mobbed when the park opens so I'm not sure if its a good idea to get that done first or not. I know a few years ago you needed to pay $15 to use the flash pass on X2, is this still the case or it in included now with no extra charge? Also how early can you typically get through the front gate before the park opens? I want to be the first one to get into the flash pass building. Does the flash pass building open at all before 10:30? I'd appreciate any response/advice regarding my questions. Thanks

That should be a pretty dead day, lines should be minimal around the park. You should be able to easily ride everything you want.

The "One time only" means only one flash pass reservation is allowed per day on those rides. Those one-time-only rides also do not allow the platinum pass double-rides, only a handful do.

Gold pass entry is advertised at 15 minutes I believe, but sometimes its only 5 or 10, and no guarantee anything will be open before the park.

Flash pass building opens at 1030 with the park.

X2 is still the most popular coaster for everyone to run to in the morning, but you shouldnt have to worry about it on a wednesday, and if you did, you could just ride it later in the day when the line dies down (since everyone rides it in the morning).

Based on my experience 2 months ago (I havn't visited the website since, but it should answer your flash pass questions)

For coasters that say "one-time" under the platinum flash pass (Twisted Colossus, YOLOcoaster, Superman, and X2) does this mean I can only use the platinum flash pass one-time for these rides the entire day?

---- One reservation for EACH of those rides for the entire day. If you want to go on Twisted Colossus twice you can skip the line once and you'd have to wait in line to ride it a second time. Same with the others you noted.

Also does this one-time use include two-rides by being able to remain seated after the first ride or is it only one ride and you get off? I'm assuming all other coasters are the typical get on and ride twice with the platinum pass.

---- no more double rides for Platinum for any rides. Six flags removed that perk across the board at all parks.

I know a few years ago you needed to pay $15 to use the flash pass on X2, is this still the case or it in included now with no extra charge?

---- extra fee for gold flash pass to use on x2, free on Platinum.

Can't help on anything else, sorry!