5 Park Chicago -> NJ Trip Early July 2020

Trying to plan this trip!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Ask us a question about trip planning, coaster videos, rodent encounters or donkeys!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: 5 Park Chicago -> NJ Trip Early July 2020

Postby defhermit » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, people!

I'm taking everything into consideration and have replanned. Won't bother going into ALL the specifics, but I'm thinking of cutting out Chicago which was basically a whim in favor of starting in Detroit/Sandusky,OH area for Cedar Point to be the beginning.

With this extra time I could either stick to the previous plan, but instead go to both DC AND either King's Dominion OR Busch Gardens...

OR I could instead keep it local and do a string of smaller parks in PA between Cedar Point and Hershey. These being Kennywood, Idlewild and Lakemont Park. This would also allow me to hit Knoebels for most of a day and then hit Hershey for late-night hours before attending a full day the next day.

I leaning toward the second option. It'll be a little cheaper and with shorter drives between stops it makes it more feasible to maybe arrive at and attend parks in the same day. This option also makes it seem more feasible to actually camp at some of these locales instead of getting a hotel.

I'm still planning all this, but expect to make a decision and start making reservations by the end of the week. Full disclosure: it is bonus time at work and they come in this Friday. So I'm trying to make this call by Friday so I can pull the trigger and set it in stone.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:50 am

So the second option is cheaper and you get to go to Knoebels? Tough call. I suggest paying more to go to worse parks. ;)

PS: If you find yourself walking around Knoebels thinking "f*ck Hershey's preview plan, I don't want to leave and I don't care about Hershey because this park is much better anyway" just know that this feeling is normal. The parks are only an hour and 15 minutes apart so stay until close. Life is too short to leave Knoebels early and do the Hershey preview sh*t. If you like camping (for some reason, lol) just camp at Knoebels and drive to Hershey in the morning.
Last edited by coasterbill on Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:51 am.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Rose Ayers » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:37 am

Some itineraries provided here are great, thanks for posting.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby defhermit » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:44 pm

So... When I started this thread I was totally ready to start making reservations and buying plane tickets. I was just waiting for my bonus to come through! It since has, but also a global pandemic has basically shut down the entire entertainment industry. Whether or not any amusement parks will even be open this summer is a real question. So I guess this trip plan is on hold until further notice. Maybe I should actually pay off my student loans?
Hope everyone is staying sane!

Previous

Return to Ask Alvey